Math1131 (1 Viewer)

study123456

HSC
What are some great books at the unsw library to ace Maths 1131 (I mean they have good questions). Also please tell me strategies to ace it

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Got a HD in both math1131 and math1231.

From my personal experience, you don't need any other textbooks aside from the course pack that has the tutorial questions and past exams included in it. If you know how to do the questions in there you will do well.

If you can't understand some of the concepts, first option I used was to just search on youtube for whatever question type it was on and there are loads of videos on maths formulas.

If you still can't understand after that ask your tutors in the tutorials.

Best way to ace this subject in my opinion is to consistently do the textbook tutorial questions. you don't have to do every single one each week but at least some from each section of the tutorial homework, so that you are able to find any issues you have and get them answered within in your tutorials.

Pretty sure also that there will be discussion groups and facebook chats for subjects so try your best to make friends so you are aware of any of these groups, those are pretty good to collaborate with other students. Last year I remember there was a math1231 facebook page, so might be a good idea to look up on facebook if there is 1131 page.

study123456

HSC
Where do I buy the course pack from, and are the exams difficult

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
pretty sure they put it on Moodle but not sure if the Moodle has all the papers as well.

You can buy it from the bookshop

It's really hard to answer your other question though, because to define what you mean by are the papers difficult can't really be answered. Since the difficulty is subjective to the student and will vary on their own ability and understanding.

I didn't find the courses hard but I had other friends who found it easy as well and others who found it hard and others who thought it was medium.

The final exams are a big step up from the class tests you do in the term as these are very basic, but even so you will just have to experience the course and you will find out in a few weeks if its difficult to you

Time&moretime

HSC
I read the previous posts and found them helpful, thank you.
By the way, I'm wondering if anyone has used the David Easdown's book on A first course on Linear Algebra and/or the 3000 solved problems on Linear Algebra Schaum series. Are they worth getting?
In need of more questions to practice on.

Engoneer

HSC
pretty sure they put it on Moodle but not sure if the Moodle has all the papers as well.

You can buy it from the bookshop

It's really hard to answer your other question though, because to define what you mean by are the papers difficult can't really be answered. Since the difficulty is subjective to the student and will vary on their own ability and understanding.

I didn't find the courses hard but I had other friends who found it easy as well and others who found it hard and others who thought it was medium.

The final exams are a big step up from the class tests you do in the term as these are very basic, but even so you will just have to experience the course and you will find out in a few weeks if its difficult to you
Did you read through the algebra and calculus notes from the course pack (there is so much to read) and then did you end up doing all of the questions in each exercise or just the ones prescribed by the weekly tutorial. Thanks!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
One suggestion: In the end-of-school-term Lifeline book sales, you can often pick up a good uni 1st year American Calculus text book - usually for less than $10. (I once picked up an unused hardcover university text with about 1000 pages: Physics - by Young & Freedman for only $2!). This should serve as a useful supplementary personal reference. If you are lucky you can pick up a book on Linear Algebra as well - I myself picked up a few)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Did you read through the algebra and calculus notes from the course pack (there is so much to read) and then did you end up doing all of the questions in each exercise or just the ones prescribed by the weekly tutorial. Thanks!
To be honest can’t remember 😂 it was so long ago. I think I did most of the questions but not all. But I didn’t use any like other textbooks just used the material provided by the uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)