MATH1231/1241 Exam (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Opinions? I do 1241 and thought the "common" questions were harder than usual, expecting the 1231 students to have found it pretty tough. The "higher" questions, however, were much easier than normal... so all in all I thought it was a pretty nice exam. Finished right on the 3 hour mark :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Most of the 1231 people i know seem to have found it quite hard.

2601 was bleh though, i never want to do 6 uoc of pure algebra again, ~70-80%

rama_v

HSC
I found that the 1231 paper wasn't too difficult, it was just a bit long. The numbers in a lot of the questions were not 'nice' so I ended up having to check my work many times, so I wasted time and only just managed to finish.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
the higher calculus (q. 6) was easier than the normal stuff (q. 4). what dumsum said was dead right. lots of people in math1231 would have been pwned, and if their algebra lecturer was chi mak, they would've had no chance.

rama_v

HSC
blackfriday said:
the higher calculus (q. 6) was easier than the normal stuff (q. 4). what dumsum said was dead right. lots of people in math1231 would have been pwned, and if their algebra lecturer was chi mak, they would've had no chance.
We had Peter Brown. He was awesome

televators

HSC
blackfriday said:

....i had chi mak:(

however i found algebra (fingers crossed) doable...except the very last question, kinda bluffed my way through those proofs.

there were questions taken from previous 1231 exam papers, if you did them. If i didnt look at the past papers (or read the yellow book)- screwed.

although i made some (silly) arithmetic errors in the calculus section..only to realise them after the test was done.

our calc lecturer, chris was the bomb though.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
yeh i went to chris' lectures instead of ian doust's, and hes a top guy. i got cake and textbook off him.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Doust knows his shit, also he gives out minties if you correct him and has "maths trivia" haha (5 minutes in the middle of each lecture giving a brief overview of a selected past mathematician etc). The trivia became a hit toward the end of semester ;)

gman03

HSC
velox said:
I hear doust is great. From personal experience he is a very good tutor.
Yup he answers all of the questions I asked in the tute... What can I ask for more..

Although I must say, he writes a lot!

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
blackfriday said:
I really wish I took the higher course.... Didn't do much work at all for 1231 but I think I got about 70-80%

I had Chi Mak as well. In all honesty it took me 3 weeks (so 6 lectures) to sit through an entire lecture without briefly falling asleep. The difference in the lecturers I had for Alg/Calc was amazing.... Chi Mak for Algebra (One of the most boring lecturers I've ever had) followed by Chris Tisdell for Calculus (Undoubtedly the best lecturer I've ever had).

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
There's hardly any difference between the higher and regular courses in first year, since scaling fixes up the higher students.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
But still, if you can handle the higher course you might as well do it. I'm definately going to take up higher subjects next year I think... provided my prediction isn't completely wrong and I end up getting a shit mark (which has happened before :S)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
What degree are you studying, BillyMak? I'll be doing all the highers next year since they're core for pure maths. Should be fun.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Dumsum said:
What degree are you studying, BillyMak? I'll be doing all the highers next year since they're core for pure maths. Should be fun.
Science/Education. Having serious second thoughts about the Education component though, finding it boring as hell.... Only really did it as a back up because I wasn't sure where I'd end up just doing a Maths degree. Looking at majoring in Applied Maths though.

You're doing Adv. Science right?

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Ya. Have to do two of the shitty table X subjects. Did MATH1000 this semester...terribly boring subject.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
If you do education you have to do History of Mathematics - Look at this:

The development of mathematical ideas has often been very slow and at times tortuous, but nearly always interesting. The finished product which is presented at secondary school and in University courses often hides much of the story which led to the development of the subject. This course is a pot-pourri of episodes from the long and fascinating history of the subject. It is of interest to anyone studying mathematics for its own sake, and is of special relevance to those planning a career in secondary teaching.

Egads :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)