MATH1251 Questions HELP (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the solution and the Wikipedia link! Any thoughts on the other question (ii)?
The method would be similar. Use the given substitution and you should end up with a linear ODE, which you can solve via an integrating factor for example. Make sure to find the value of the constant C by using the initial condition. Once you have found the solution, you should be able to find its maximum value.

(Note that maximising y will be equivalent to minimising z, and the latter will be easier to do, and ymax. = 1/zmin..)

Last edited:

HSC
The method would be similar. Use the given substitution and you should end up with a linear ODE, which you can solve via an integrating factor for example. Make sure to find the value of the constant C by using the initial condition. Once you have found the solution, you should be able to find its maximum value.

(Note that maximising y will be equivalent to minimising z, and the latter will be easier to do, and ymax. = 1/zmin..)
Thanks, figured out the ODE bit, couldn't find how to do the max. value...

Got another question as well:

I found a VERY simple solution, I don't think it's right, and it certainly doesn't match with these answers provided:

My solution was just:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I found a VERY simple solution, I don't think it's right, and it certainly doesn't match with these answers provided:

My solution was just:
How did you get your solution? Note we can't just integrate the RHS of the given ODE as though we're just integrating a square, because there's an unknown function y(x) in there.

HSC
How did you get your solution? Note we can't just integrate the RHS of the given ODE as though we're just integrating a square, because there's an unknown function y(x) in there.
Yeah just realised I did essentially that, I used the substitution provided, rearranged it and somehow forced it into the ODE provided (and I know I wasn't supposed to do this)...But since there are two variables in the substitution u=y-x, do we need to use partial differentiation?

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

My solution was just:

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yeah just realised I did essentially that, I used the substitution provided, rearranged it and somehow forced it into the ODE provided (and I know I wasn't supposed to do this)...But since there are two variables in the substitution u=y-x, do we need to use partial differentiation?

leehuan

HSC
I didn't have any problem tackling algebra with this question, but I have something else. (Just going to insert an image here as the question is a bit awkward to type up neatly.)

The answer to (ii) is

For (iii) and (v), it is quite obvious that y tends to K but I've forgotten how fractions work. Why is it that in (iii) it does so strictly increasing whereas in (iv) it is strictly increasing towards K?

(Cause I'm obviously assuming that there is obviously no need to compute dy/dt=g(t) here)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I didn't have any problem tackling algebra with this question, but I have something else. (Just going to insert an image here as the question is a bit awkward to type up neatly.)

The answer to (ii) is

For (iii) and (v), it is quite obvious that y tends to K but I've forgotten how fractions work. Why is it that in (iii) it does so strictly increasing whereas in (iv) it is strictly increasing towards K?

(Cause I'm obviously assuming that there is obviously no need to compute dy/dt=g(t) here)

HSC

The answer to (ii) is

Wait doesn't y approach -K (not K) as t-> infinity, knowing 0<y_0<K

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Wait doesn't y approach -K (not K) as t-> infinity, knowing 0<y_0<K
It approaches K. leehuan typoed the solution, it should be +y0 in the denominator. (To see this, note that if we sub. in t = 0, we are supposed to get y = y0.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)