Math187/ Math141? (1 Viewer)

Max Factor

HSC
I am going to be doing b. med and radiation Physics this year and I am a little confused on which maths to take.

In the corse program it detailed Math 187 and under the Pre-Requisites it said: Either a mark of at least 80 in MATH151 OR (in the NSW HSC Examination) Mathematics Band 4; or Mathematics Ext 1.

I got an 79 in hsc 2 unit (band 4 almost band 5). So up to this point I believe i am able to undertake this course however scrolling down i encountered:

Generic Extra InformationAssumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Ext 1.

I did Ext 1 during preliminary but dropped it due to lasiness and part time job. Im not lazy anymore and am quite determined to put the effort to attain a decent mark. Will I be able to take this course?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
If you did not do Ext 1 and did not do a bridging course, I would not recommend 187.

However, if you do 187 and fail, it is not the end of the world. you can do 161 in Spring and 162 in Summer. This is equivalent to 187 and 188 I think.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Can't you do a bridging course for Extension 1 Mathematics?

Max Factor

HSC
I had a look on the uni's website but found only bridging courses in bio, chem and phys. I think I am just going to ring the faculty and see what they have to say.

I heard the 142 maths was the same course just done slowly. Is this true?

Thanks for the help.

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
It says in the subject descriptions that they both cover Differential calculus and linear algebra, and matrices determinants and their applications in vector geometry. So yeh, they sound like the same course, with Math141 meant for students who dont have a strong grasp of calculus.

So Math187 and Math141 are the same (in terms of topics studied) and Math188 and Math142 are the same (in terms of topics studied).

Last edited:

Max Factor

HSC
Js^-1 said:
It says in the subject descriptions that they both cover Differential calculus and linear algebra, and matrices determinants and their applications in vector geometry. So yeh, they sound like the same course, with Math141 meant for students who dont have a strong grasp of calculus.

So Math187 and Math141 are the same (in terms of topics studied) and Math188 and Math142 are the same (in terms of topics studied).
Fair enough.

I would prefer to adhere to the course guidelines and do Math 187. Sure it might be taught differently but as Js^-1 said, it has the same topics covered as math 141. The maths level of 187 is a requirement into many of the electives that I want to do. Might as well give it my best shot.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I am going to be doing b. med and radiation Physics this year and I am a little confused on which maths to take.

In the corse program it detailed Math 187 and under the Pre-Requisites it said: Either a mark of at least 80 in MATH151 OR (in the NSW HSC Examination) Mathematics Band 4; or Mathematics Ext 1.

I got an 79 in hsc 2 unit (band 4 almost band 5). So up to this point I believe i am able to undertake this course however scrolling down i encountered:

Generic Extra InformationAssumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Ext 1.

I did Ext 1 during preliminary but dropped it due to lasiness and part time job. Im not lazy anymore and am quite determined to put the effort to attain a decent mark. Will I be able to take this course?
I would probably take 141/142 if I was you. So long as you get 65+ in 142 (and if not, you'll need to take 162 in Summer), you'll be fine for second year maths.

Though physics... perhaps 187/188 is good for you. Based on marks though, maybe 141/142 is doable. :)

decypher

HSC
Do MATH141/142. Its virtually the same as 187/188 but you don't have to memorise any formulas because you get to make your own formula sheet. Plus in most cases 142/187 students end up doing the same second year maths subjects so it's not as if you will be 'behind' by doing 142.

The only major difference between the courses is that 141 has 3u material for the first 3 weeks. From then on they're the same. However as pointed out earlier some second year maths will need a Credit in 142 Vs a Pass in 187 as a prereq, so be aware of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)