• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Mathematical Induction conclusion? (2 Viewers)

hecticated

HSC
Been doing several past papers.
The HSC answers don't have a long conclusion e.g. "By mathematical induction...is true for all integers n>1"
My teacher taught us to write a long one.
Does the conclusion get marked or? Is it even that important?

HSC
My teacher has told me that they no longer award a mark for conclusions, so a short concluding sentence is suffice. You don't have to write a long one

hecticated

HSC
ok thank you! :) I'll just ask my teacher so I don't lose marks in trials haha.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Ask your teacher what your school wants in trials.

In the HSC you don't need a conclusion.

cub3root

HSC
N/A
yes what realise said. You will get absolutely zero marks awarded for writing a nice pretty conclusion. Pretty much all the marks come from the actual algebraic proof. I don't even think marks are awarded for subbing n = 1 or assume true for n = k. However if one of my students is struggling i usually just give them 1/3 so they feel better

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
yes what realise said. You will get absolutely zero marks awarded for writing a nice pretty conclusion. Pretty much all the marks come from the actual algebraic proof. I don't even think marks are awarded for subbing n = 1 or assume true for n = k. However if one of my students is struggling i usually just give them 1/3 so they feel better
1 mark for n=1

2 marks for proving true for n=k+1

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I got my long conclusions crossed out and slapped with "UNNECESSARY" so something short and concise will suffice. The most important is the inductive step, i.e. therefore true for n=k+1 when n=k

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
It has been confirmed by many HSC markers that zero marks are awarded for the conclusion.

I have no idea why teachers continue to force students to write the conclusion other than ignorance of the HSC marking scheme.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
I once finished my maths exam early and I spent the rest of the time on writing the conclusion for the induction question. My conclusion was like a 2 page essay :lol:. My teacher's feedback on the conclusion was: "By induction proving, therefore the equation is true! - next time write this"
Anyway, tbh, follow your teacher's method so that you don't lose any silly mark.

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I bought a stamp into my exams which had the final induction sentence carved out. 1 second conclusion. Ez no worries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)