Mathematical induction Inequality Question (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hey, I am really stuck with this question. Can anyone pls send me their working out and an explanation on how to do it pls. This would be much appreciated as my exam is only a week away!
for the 2nd

i)

(1)

(2)

ii)

making the algebra very clear
from (1)

through factorising the -xy in

(3)

Now using inequality from (2)
let x = x^2, y = y^2

from (3)
hence

as req.

Probably a nicer way but this is the one that came to mind

5uckerberg

HSC
First step for the first one

Q for reference for all positive integers . Where

First step for n=1

The assumption step which is

There we are RTP for

Using assumption
times both sides by a and there we will have

Add and take on both sides
Performing these steps. We will have.

We want .
But of course this is where it gets fun
. A vital step to prove that because if that is true then you have finished the induction proof. I imagine this would be the trickiest step.
multiplying by on both sides because from the Q

At this point you go, uh what do I do nor do I have anything to offer.
Well, if in doubt this is when we will use calculus.
Differentiate with respect to a

Now you want to find stationary points,
Multiply by
It becomes

a=1 because the other solution is imaginary
Differentiate that again we will receive
sub in . We will have 4 which clearly is greater than 0 so therefore we have a minimum point. Therefore, we have just proven that is the minimum value and using the indicution proof of
is complete for

Last edited:

Anounymouse352

HSC
Hey, I am really stuck with this question. Can anyone pls send me their working out and an explanation on how to do it pls. This would be much appreciated as my exam is only a week away!
[/QUO0-02-07-71efb2bc0476f98ba67fdcab66bf8e4f42d6ede433e20034d0665fabaca5b9d6_dea2e2dc25b2a295.jpgTE]0-02-07-267ab03bec0c5cd5ab2d0d23b7f48d5cb28e52f0edabadc908d80a2654b66f48_33608e613d929f68.jpg
Hopefully this helps for the 2nd question you sent , i just rearrange the inequailit and said i am going to prove an identity then just subbed in s as x+y, dont show the marker that you rearranged just keep it in your head or scribble it out

Last edited:

Anounymouse352

HSC
with quetion 1 , i jus came acrss an eddie oo video that explains this question, its 3 videos il send 1 and you would be abe to see the the other 3 from the recomedations

5uckerberg

HSC
IIRC the video you posted here for part 3 Eddie used by cases to prove by mathematical induction for the question but my long post provides an alternative if you want to go into great detail because it uses calculus as it utilises the minimum turning point and the fact that we are proving something is greater than or equal to which justifies the usage of calculus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)