Mathematical Induction Q (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Holy moly hes gonna try!

hey J0n are u class of 04? Damn... judging by the questions/answers u give, i have a feeling ur gonna beat us all :( :)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
nah, he is in Uni.

edit;
wtf, he joined up in august 2003. Maybe he IS in our grade. shite.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well I can get the first stage the next stages might take a bit though. Dam the last proof is hard.

Last edited:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
oh shit.

*rushed out with a knife and chops J0n's head off*

however, you DO realise, of course, that they will never ask a question like that in the exam? Like, EVER?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I can do up to prove true for 1/2(m+1)=k+1, since m is directly related to k its hard finding the difference between 1/2(m+1)=k and 1/2(m+1)=k+1. If you want Ill post up to that point

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone, I promised myself not to get sucked into this( forum) this year. Maybe just this one question.

The sigma sum notation could be confusing, particularly when there is an embedded summation(see Q8 HSC2000) or product like this one. First thing you have to do is have a feel for the expression by expanding it out.

For m=7, expression is 1+{6/5+(6*4)/(5*3)+(6*4*2)/(5*4*1)} and indeed it is equal to 7,

Now for m, expression is 1+{[(m-1)/(m-2)+[(m-1)(m-3)]/[(m-2)(m-4)+...+[(m-1)(m-3)...4*2]/[(m-2)(m-4)...3*1]}

The question is prove 1+{ }=m.
Assume true, that is {}=m-1, prove true for m+2 ie.:

1+{(m+1)/m+[(m+1)(m-1)]/[m(m-2)+...+)+...+[(m+1)(m-1)(m-3)...4*2]/[m(m-2)(m-4)...3*1]}=m+1
Now notice that the expression in {} has a common factor (m+1)/m.... the rest should be easy.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Can you do it that way, by changing m since the max thing is 1/2(m+1)?

OLDMAN

HSC
N/A
Xayma, the induction variable is m - introducing another variable k could be confusing.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by GuardiaN
ruse nerds don't post here at all. period. Neither do SBHS nerds. Yeah, sure, top 10 post, but the actual NERDS, the absolutely freaky ones, very rarely use this site. Its a very big co-incidence that the top'ers of extension 1 and 2 maths for 03 and 02 have both been visiting this site. Thats what I think so anyway. :)
they're here... mr 100.xx from ruse has over 500 posts and now offering tutoring. i wonder where i heard of the name yewon before... oh distinction course :D

and that math nerd from your school last year and all the olympiad students thats on here... they are the freaky ones. ;)

Last edited:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, who were you talking to Abbdoooo?
*looks around, spots no-one*
wtf, your becoming crazy. Too much study, I think. :p

lol

abdooooo!!!

Banned
im talking to myself... ok. you fools. :p

someone should really make it so that you can't delete posts... umm... but i can do it as well. ;)

GuardiaN man... that questions sucks... i can't do it. :(

have to learn more calculus...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)