• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

mathematical induction (1 Viewer)

mary231089

HSC
N/A
can anyone explain to me fully the point of mathematical induction and does anyone out there have anything that may help (like booklets or sumfing!):)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
mary231089 said:
can anyone explain to me fully the point of mathematical induction and does anyone out there have anything that may help (like booklets or sumfing!):)
There's a couple of threads in the extension 1 maths forums that can help you out with induction as well, just search for them.

HSC
N/A
The point:

Okay, take this analogy I've seen. Say you have an infinite staircase. You have to prove that every single step is painted yellow. Of course, if you chase after it and count every step that'd get you nowhere because your staircase is infinite. So what you do is prove that if a step is yellow, it implies that the step above it is yellow, and then show that the step at the very bottom is yellow. Done.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Oh, hahaha I remember I had a year 12 assessment on maths induction last term and I got mmmmm.....4/30. lol. Of course, without preparing at all for it. Concentrating on 2u more. 3u for me = zilch.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Omigod. It's reading threads like these that make me so happy I'm not doing Maths anymore. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)