Mathematical modelling 1 outline (1 Viewer)

Farmerism

HSC
Hey guys

I just transfered to uts B Eng/ B Sc from unsw. At unsw i did maths and just passed with a 54 (i crammed all my learning two days before the test, hehe like that explains my mark), but i was wondering if i would be able to get advance standing for mathematical modelling 1 at uts, or whether i should just start over.

at unsw we learnt complex numbers, matrices, vectors, differentiation, limits, integration, diff of many variables um... inverse func hyperbolic func.. um... and got 6 class tests, whose best 5 marks would make up 22% of our report

and we learnt how to use maple (way better than mathematica hehe) and got assessed on that twice totalling 8%

I was just wondering how this differed to the mathematical modelling 1 course at uts, like how were you guys assessed and what was the overall structure like.. and what did you guys do with mathematica

from the uts handbook, i see the only difference in topics were growth and decay stuff, and.. nonlinear oscillation, whatever that is

the uts handbook also says that they teach :
  • presentation of a collection of physical problems;
  • functions and their relationship to measurement and the interpretation of physical results;
  • differential equations arising from physical problems;
this sounds just like vectors and... normal differentiation, is it?

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
Farmerism said:
Hey guys

I just transfered to uts B Eng/ B Sc from unsw. At unsw i did maths and just passed with a 54 (i crammed all my learning two days before the test, hehe like that explains my mark), but i was wondering if i would be able to get advance standing for mathematical modelling 1 at uts, or whether i should just start over.

at unsw we learnt complex numbers, matrices, vectors, differentiation, limits, integration, diff of many variables um... inverse func hyperbolic func.. um... and got 6 class tests, whose best 5 marks would make up 22% of our report

and we learnt how to use maple (way better than mathematica hehe) and got assessed on that twice totalling 8%

I was just wondering how this differed to the mathematical modelling 1 course at uts, like how were you guys assessed and what was the overall structure like.. and what did you guys do with mathematica

from the uts handbook, i see the only difference in topics were growth and decay stuff, and.. nonlinear oscillation, whatever that is

the uts handbook also says that they teach :
  • presentation of a collection of physical problems;
  • functions and their relationship to measurement and the interpretation of physical results;
  • differential equations arising from physical problems;
this sounds just like vectors and... normal differentiation, is it?
Can I ask why you transferred to UTS?

Farmerism

HSC
Captin gay said:
Can I ask why you transferred to UTS?
well... unsw was a pain in the ass the get to. uts offered fewer hours hehe and plus i reckon uts isnt that bad considering their employment rate after graduation is pretty high for engineering and they got that award for good teaching

also i dont think unsw is all its cracked up to be. for one its got some cancerous building hehe all the long term professors who worked there now have high risk of getting cancer

also, the arrogant b'tards assumed they could get a whole heap of students to enrol in their singapore campus of the expected say 20000 to enrol only something like 200 enrolled maybe less and maybe even more were expected to go hehe i cant remember figures exactly at this point. so after only one semester they had to close down the uni and pay close to 20 million of tax payers money to singapore govt for rest of the lease

details could be inaccurate but if you look it up i can assure you the same level of shock and outrage.. that this uni could be so irresponsible and careless and all things negative

also, if anyone saw the train breakdown on the harbour bridge, where poeple had to queue up for replacement buses then that is what youd expect to see at unsw everyday!

what else is there... well i reckon higher chem is taught well at unsw, as well as babs (bio) other than that.. iuho

oh another reason for transfering is cuz i felt like i had a bad start to uni didnt study or anything hence math mark of 54 so id liek to redeem that too by starting over.ish

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah get advanced standing. they dont count the grade that you got from unsw to put on your academic transcript at uts
i got adv standing for stats when i did that at unsw and they didnt count the grade.

ioniser

HSC
Farmerism said:
Hey guys

UTS maths is pretty straight forward no stressful thinking.If you did 3 unit maths in high school and above ,You should be able to notice the difference that 2 unit is straight forward and process work where as 3 unit is all proofs and problem solving.UTS maths is the equivalent of that of 2 unit maths. However upon finishing maths you will start using your brain,as there's lots of problem solving in new topics and subjects after it.

UNSW and usyd maths is the equivalent difficulty of 3 unit and 4 unit maths.You should be finding our maths a breeze compared with your old uni. We pretty much cover the same topics as UNSW but not as in depth with the problems

example at

UTS:in mechanics we are given simple shapes like squares and circles for finding centroids (which we can pretty much memorise the formula for)

UNSW:where as mechanics at unsw they require you to find centroids with proofing using integration and they are given shapes that are more difficult such as shapes with undefined corners like shapes of a cloud etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)