Mathematics at UoW (1 Viewer)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Hmm depends on the course i guess, the stats i did last semester was heavily calculus based, we proved pretty much all the results including the central limit theorem. I like that part of stats, but i dont like the things such as hypothesis testing.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Who would want to do maths past school level? :confused:

Are there any job prospects other than being a teacher?
So many jobs that you would lose count (probably based on your lack of math skills).

Maths is huge, between engineering, finance and stats there's a bundle of jobs.

HSC
acmilan said:
Hmm depends on the course i guess, the stats i did last semester was heavily calculus based, we proved pretty much all the results including the central limit theorem. I like that part of stats, but i dont like the things such as hypothesis testing.
Yeah - my stat knowledge is pretty much limited to STAT131 - and that has scarred me, so no more stat for me after this year.

bleh - hypothtis testing. Meant to be doing an assignment on tht now :mad1:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
chinesefireball said:
Ok - i can see the point of stat, I can see how it is useful. But I never really liked subjects that were just - here is the formula work the stuff out, then say what it means. I prefer to work out the formula for myself. I think it is because I don't know enough stat, to really understand it properly.

I don't mind applied - but then all I have done is MATH111
That's first year stats, you derive most things in 2nd year (including repeating much of STAT131 i hear) :)

auzbabe4christ

Hi. How are you?
HSC
chinesefireball said:
I think if you are going to do a straight maths degree - try and do the advance - that way you get to avoid the math187/188 - they are boring as shit. But then you have a subject that puts a years worth of work into 1/2 a year.

Also the research projects you do in second and third year would be good. But then I also heard if you go good in math187/188, you may be able to get into those subjects anyway.

What are you guys talking about? stat is the worst.
i didn't see what was wrong with 187/188... i thought they were good subjects....

yes 188 wasnt the best... but it was still better than math111..

as for stat... i like stat at uow... its good

auzbabe4christ

Hi. How are you?
HSC
wow. i just realised how much of the same stuff we are doing.

tell me, are you doing a BMath? or BMath/Finance? or BMathEd?
out of pure curiosity i mgiht add.

HSC
How is math187/math188? I will have to do that at as part of my degree next year (electrical engineering). Will it be like studying 2/3 unit maths at HSC level? I wasn't bad at 2unit math but I struggled at 3unit...is this a factor?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
watatank said:
How is math187/math188? I will have to do that at as part of my degree next year (electrical engineering). Will it be like studying 2/3 unit maths at HSC level? I wasn't bad at 2unit math but I struggled at 3unit...is this a factor?
I'd possibly suggest you take MATH141/142 instead of 187/188. You can replace 187/188 with 141/142 if your maths ability isn't strong enough. If I recall correctly, the mathematics subjects required for ECTE degrees are MATH141/161/187 (one of these), MATH142/162/188 (one of these) and MATH287 (the number isn't right, I'm sure of it, but it's Mathematics for Engineers).

MATH141/187 are run at the same time, should you fail either MATH141/187 you can enrol in MATH161 in Spring session, if you enrol in MATH161, or fail MATH142/188 you can take MATH162 in Summer session, leaving you ready for your 200-level maths requirement the following year.

Tip: If you're certain your maths ability isn't strong (as MATH187/188 are difficult for those who don't have a strong ability), take MATH141/142. However, if you want to ignore me and try the harder ones, you can take MATH161/162 should you fail. So either way the school has your back should you stuff up.

I did 2/3 unit in high school. Though I started maths again last year (three years later), I find I'm struggling with MATH142 work, and some MATH141 work.

auzbabe4christ

Hi. How are you?
HSC
watatank said:
if you are gong to do electrical engineering, there is also math141/142 whcih you are able to do as well.

as for the struggling factor... 187 would be the only one you would need the basis of 3 unit for... its not that its a hard subject, as you do learn new stuff... but u do you some of what u have just learnt at school in 187.

honestly, i would say go for the easier course... but it's totally up to you. they have the same info in them, though 187/188 goes into a bit more depth (or more information to know) then 141/142.

but i think u would b fine. 2 of my friends didnt do 3unit maths, and both passed 187 and 188. so yea

HSC
auzbabe4christ said:
wow. i just realised how much of the same stuff we are doing.

tell me, are you doing a BMath? or BMath/Finance? or BMathEd?
out of pure curiosity i mgiht add.

Neither sort of - Actually am a BMath/Comp Sci

To your earlier question - nothing really wrong with 187/188 - its just 187 was a rehash of caculus I had done in year 12, with linear algebra (which wasn't too bad) and vector stuff (which I couldn't stand). MATH188 I didn't mind so much by the end of it - its just I prefer the other maths.

You are a maths finance person I presume (unless you are something like the 2-3 girls that are straight BMaths)

auzbabe4christ

Hi. How are you?
HSC
ahhh -- see, i was thinking u would be doing a degree which i had forgotten to mention... turns out you are. go figure.

and also fair enough about math 187 and 188... i can see where u are coming from with that.

and no, im not doing maths/finance. i'm actually doing BMathEd, but at the Loftus campus for UOW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)