Mathematics for engineering (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Dw calculus in 2u isn't actually that bad, you'll pick it up pree quickly

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
What makes you think so? I have taught Gen Maths students - it's a torture. They struggle with the easiest of concepts. Don't talk of just Gen Maths students. Even some 2U Maths students struggle with their calculus.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
What makes you think so? I have taught Gen Maths students - it's a torture. They struggle with the easiest of concepts. Don't talk of Gen Maths students. Even some 2U Maths students struggle with the subject.
Wot but it's literally just differentiation and integration
unless you're talking about the graph which really confused me when I first started

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

jono_jonoson

HSC
I guess it wouldn't be that hard for OP to learn 2/3 unit maths.

I was a total spastic at mathematics in year 10 (was getting like 25%-35% in every exam), and i chose ext 1 mathematics for year 11.

I went tutoring and in 6 months learnt the whole 2 and 3 unit courses, and was getting 90+ in my exams. Plus I even self taught myself the 4-unit topics in a few months this year as well using the sydney grammar 4-unit textbook (im not doing 4 unit for my HSC). If OP spends a few hours each day in the 4 month break he should be able to learn the 2/3 unit courses.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Tbh they say required knowledge extension 1 and recommended extension 2 but do they even use maths in engineering eg: my brother never integrates anymore... They just type it into a computer...

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Tbh they say required knowledge extension 1 and recommended extension 2 but do they even use maths in engineering eg: my brother never integrates anymore... They just type it into a computer...
But it's not good if you don't know what you're actually doing on the computer. You should know what it is you're doing, and then the computer's just a tool for the computation.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A

I was a total spastic at mathematics in year 10 (was getting like 25%-35% in every exam), and i chose ext 1 mathematics for year 11.

I went tutoring and in 6 months learnt the whole 2 and 3 unit courses, and was getting 90+ in my exams. Plus I even self taught myself the 4-unit topics in a few months this year as well using the sydney grammar 4-unit textbook (im not doing 4 unit for my HSC). If OP spends a few hours each day in the 4 month break he should be able to learn the 2/3 unit courses.
If @op is as bright as you are, then maybe he can achieve what you have achieved.

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC

Holy shit is your IQ 200+?

Flop21

HSC
If @op is as bright as you are, then maybe he can achieve what you have achieved.
But don't usually the 'bright' kids choose 2u maths in the first place? I mean, isn't Engineering very maths heavy / applied math in most parts? And if OP liked math even a little bit they would have done 2u, instead of general?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
u need to understand how the mathematics work and not just type shit into a computer..

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
u need to understand how the mathematics work and not just type shit into a computer..
yeah this

when you put the shit into the computer it gives an output and you need to be able to understand and analyse what that output means

Sien

HSC
But don't usually the 'bright' kids choose 2u maths in the first place? I mean, isn't Engineering very maths heavy / applied math in most parts? And if OP liked math even a little bit they would have done 2u, instead of general?
Maybe op wanted the easy path but fucked himself over the long term

Flop21

HSC
Maybe op wanted the easy path but fucked himself over the long term
Yeah, I think OP was one of those people who picked general 'to get a good ATAR', i.e. they think they'll get 90+ for sure in it.

But I feel for OP, our goals and interests can change dramatically over 2 years. Look at me, I use to kind of dislike math, but now I'm liking it more and more each day.

Sien

HSC
Yeah, I think OP was one of those people who picked general 'to get a good ATAR', i.e. they think they'll get 90+ for sure in it.

But I feel for OP, our goals and interests can change dramatically over 2 years. Look at me, I use to kind of dislike math, but now I'm liking it more and more each day.
Yea same, I hated maths ever since yr2 but then English came along. I saw maths in a new light afterwards

iStudent

HSC
Some of these comments are brutal...
I guess the onus is on OP to study prelim + hsc 2U/3U and maybe 4U all out after HSC? :)
Not all topics in 2/3/4u are used in engineering though, I believe.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
What are you trying to say?

Anthel

HSC
N/A
If you're really that interested in doing Engineering, then by all means do it. But having no knowledge in 2unit or ext 1 equivalent maths will make it heaps difficult as everyone has already posted. Some universities offer a lot maths support (UTS to name one) but you probably have to work much more than the person doing engo with thorough knowledge of 3 unit.

gelobro

HSC
I don't mean to revive this post, but for anyone who has the same issue and finds this post: it is very much possible, I only had to do an extra subject and had to do math during summer (at UTS at least).

Don't be discouraged, just put the work in (but be scared so it makes you try as hard as I did).

Proof: Capture.JPG

Mathew587

HSC
I don't mean to revive this post, but for anyone who has the same issue and finds this post: it is very much possible, I only had to do an extra subject and had to do math during summer (at UTS at least).

Don't be discouraged, just put the work in (but be scared so it makes you try as hard as I did).

Proof: View attachment 33840
Holy shit you're good. :0
Can someone also rate engo subjects + cs in order of difficulty and also in order of math involved although I assume that both would be somewhat proportional.
Thank you :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Holy shit you're good. :0
Can someone also rate engo subjects + cs in order of difficulty and also in order of math involved although I assume that both would be somewhat proportional.
Thank you :)
They are both very math intensive

BreeJones01

HSC
Interested to learn more about what Engineering is like. Any of you guys currently studying it? I'm thinking about Civil atm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)