Mathematics in Comp Sci/Software Eng? (1 Viewer)

codislife

HSC
N/A
I was looking through the courses at UNSW but in the select few I was interested in, all of them have some form of mathematics. I don't mind doing a course with 2unit/easy 3 unit level maths but I was wondering how hard the actual math courses in each of these degrees are?

Also, I'm really interested in web (php. unix etc.) and software developing (e.g. C, Java etc.), web and software security, cryptography and artificial intelligence related courses. The only course which was near perfect for me was the BIT offered by UTS but I've heard almost unanimously from people that UTS student life is quite atrocious in comparison to UNSW and USYD. Could anyone recommend similar courses to my interests?

Thank you!

D94

HSC
N/A
The maths in first year will be the same as any other engineering degree offered at UNSW, so they assume you have 3 unit knowledge. The content goes deeper into 4 unit content, and there are many new topics. You could take the easier/normal stream (as opposed to the Higher stream), but most of the content is the same, you would just do the easier questions. That said, I believe marks are capped to accomodate for the difference in difficulty.

froogle

HSC
N/A
UNSW courses for comp sci are quite different to UTS. If UTS is near perfect for you then I highly recommend you go there. It sounds like you want to do a lot hands on stuff, learn programming languages and other IT related things.
UNSW teaches a science/engineering approach to computing, as opposed to straight out Information Technology. It is learning problem solving skills, rather than content and knowledge so there is a fair amount of maths and a hell of a lot more work in it.

UTS has a decent social life (and you can always crash USYD's :p), so if that is the direction you want to go towards (sounds like it), then go for it.
I know quite a few people in UNSW who don't really like computing there since they'd rather learn stuff like networking and various programming languages, but then again I know many who absolutely love it - so it really is up to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)