Mathematics vs. MX1 (1 Viewer)

spatula232

HSC
What's the difference between Maths and Maths Ext? I'm quite strong at Maths now in yr 10 (94% or close to that Sem. 2), yet it is only a 5.2 course....not 5.3..... I enjoy Maths as a subject atm, so what would you guys recommend doing (teacher says MX1...)?

spatula232

HSC
I meant the test we did was a 5.2, yet the course we r learning is 5.3...

braintic

HSC
N/A
I meant the test we did was a 5.2, yet the course we r learning is 5.3...
Not sure why you're sitting a 5.2 test if you are doing 5.3.
The 5.2 result means little in terms of your ability to do Ext 1. Do you have a measure of how you are doing in 5.3?

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're enjoying maths and you have a good work ethic, take Maths Extension 1.

R4diance

HSC
If your teacher recommended you for MX1, then go for it. If you can't handle it next year, drop it then.
In terms of the differences, there are more topics in Ext.1 that are more difficult. But of course, the MX1 course scales very well.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Pick the highest level that you can do (assuming you want to do it). It will help your ATAR (scaling) and it will help you at university (assuming you're planning on university).

spatula232

HSC
Yeah my school is a bit weird like that. My only issue is that they wont let me do 14 units so if i do end up choosing MX1 i will be stuck with it for the year. I am having a 5.3 test nxt week or something so ill see how i go in that. Thanks for the help tho.

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Yeah my school is a bit weird like that. My only issue is that they wont let me do 14 units so if i do end up choosing MX1 i will be stuck with it for the year. I am having a 5.3 test nxt week or something so ill see how i go in that. Thanks for the help tho.
Won't let you do 14 units? so you're planning to do 13 I'm assuming?

You should be able to drop to 12! You don't need to have more than 12 :)

spatula232

HSC
Well I thinking of doing:
- MX1
- Eng Adv.
- Legal
- SoR 1
- Physics
* Then undecided on business/eco/pdh.

I dont really want to do more religion or english, then there is only the option of doing 2 u of maths.....

Study notes

HSC
Try extension 1. getting over 90% in year 10 will not mean you will succeed in ext 1 maths but it is a good starting point. you should do good in 2U but ext 1 is another leap. You should be able to cope with the extra amount of study if you really tried. Just make sure you attempt harder questions and get help from people around you during the course.

koreafantasy

HSC
2u and 3u is pretty much the same level of difficulty, regarding understanding of concepts. Think of it as 2 unit with more topics. so definitely, if you like maths and you don't mind practising more questions, then its recommended you do it. Scaling is excellent for it too.

RaceOfAce

HSC
N/A
3 unit is basically 2 unit with more fun. Honestly, 3 unit maths isn't very hard, it's just that people spend too much reading and not enough doing. The HSC paper for 3 unit is more about time consumption than difficulty. Practice tons of questions (from a solid book like Cambridge 3U) and learn concepts by doing, and you should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)