• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

maths 1131/1141 (1 Viewer)

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
I only see the option to pick 1141 (Higher Mathematics) for semester 1... where did 1131 run off to.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I just searched for MATH1131 and its there. Make sure you've selected the correct session.

ace

is retired
HSC
math1131 = basic 4 unit + simple introduction to university math (algebra/calculus)

math1141 = basic 4 unit + simple introduction to university math(algebra/calculus) + extension topics + faster pace

My opinion, if you did 3 unit(relatively good), math1131 shouldn't be too much of a hassle, if you haven't done 4 unit, math1141 could become quite a hassle

MATH1131 TOPICS;

Algebra
1. Complex Numbers
2. Introduction to Vectors
3. Linear Equations and Matrices
4. Matrices
5. Vector Geometry

Calculus
1. Functions and Graphs
2. Limits
3. Differentiability
4. Properties of Continuous and Differentiable Functions
5. Inverse Functions
6. A Systematic approach to Curve sketching
7. Parametric Curves and Polar Co-ordinates
8. Integration
9. Logartithms and Exponentials
10. Hyperbolic and Inverse Hyberbolic Functions
11. Functions of Several Variables

MATH1141 TOPICS;

All of MATH1131, and

Algebra;
AC-Circuit Theory, Fields, Construction of the complex numbers (Within the Complex Numbers Topic)
Permutations (Within the Matrices Topic)
Circles and Spheres, Applications in physics and engineering (Within the Vector Geometry Topic)

Calculus;
Slicing Techniques(Within the Integration Topic)

I think there are more, when I have time, I'll check my calculus book more thouroughly.

Also, MATH1141, harder tests and more questions are set for homework, (well homework is not compulsory, yet you are expected to be able to do the harder problems, else you'll probably fail the class tests)

However, to make up for the difficulty there is higher scaling with MATH1141, compared to that of MATH1131.

Last edited:

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
lol, if i do 1141 i already see my self failing permutations.

edit: would doing 1141 benefit me in ANY way to other physics subjects or any subjects later in the years?

ace

is retired
HSC
Li0n said:
lol, if i do 1141 i already see my self failing permutations.

edit: would doing 1141 benefit me in ANY way to other physics subjects or any subjects later in the years?
Well permutations is not what you think, as akin to the permutations your thinking of. If you want the course with probability, then (besides dedicated probability math courses), discrete maths in first year is probably the closest you'll come back to visiting those horrid days of permutations/combinations only harder.

I guess MATH1141, and same goes for any advaned/extended/higher course is that the grounding it provides is that of a higher level, so in theory anyways, it should allow a better transition into related course subjects.

That however is up for debate. I did MATH1131, it was ok, I did 3 unit at School, I was moderate, but knew some of the first few 4 unit topics in my head. Ended up with a Credit for MATH1131. Got a pass for MATH1081, Discrete, yet got a DISTINCTION for MATH2400 (Finite Mathematics, or as some call it, discrete version 2 - 2nd year edition). So the correlation, as from my track record shows anything is possible.

On a side note, I did higher computing, it was good, yet it was hard. So if your looking for marks, it could be better to do non-higher courses. However if you don't want to get bored, or you rather want some challenge do higher courses, you learn more. :)

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
If you do maths in the second year, then MATH1241 (Higher Maths 1B) will be somewhat beneficial over MATH1231 (Maths 1B). About MATH1131 vs MATH1141, I'm not so sure.

For example, if you do any second year course on linear algebra, then the extension topics in MATH1241 algebra (such as abstract vector spaces and matrix exponentials), will be quite handy. If you do any second year course involving vector calculus (e.g. several variable calculus or real analysis), then the extension topics of MATH1241 calculus (such as finding centre masses, moments of inertia, and integrating with polar coordinates) will be useful. If you do a probability & stats course in the second year, then the extension probability material in MATH1241 (such as methods of approximating the Bionomial distribution) will be useful.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
ace said:
Well permutations is not what you think, as akin to the permutations your thinking of. If you want the course with probability, then (besides dedicated probability math courses), discrete maths in first year is probably the closest you'll come back to visiting those horrid days of permutations/combinations only harder.
im doing discrete *cries*

wogboy said:
If you do maths in the second year, then MATH1241 (Higher Maths 1B) will be somewhat beneficial over MATH1231 (Maths 1B). About MATH1131 vs MATH1141, I'm not so sure.

For example, if you do any second year course on linear algebra, then the extension topics in MATH1241 algebra (such as abstract vector spaces and matrix exponentials), will be quite handy. If you do any second year course involving vector calculus (e.g. several variable calculus or real analysis), then the extension topics of MATH1241 calculus (such as finding centre masses, moments of inertia, and integrating with polar coordinates) will be useful. If you do a probability & stats course in the second year, then the extension probability material in MATH1241 (such as methods of approximating the Bionomial distribution) will be useful.
I'll be doing all those courses :/
by "quite handy" is that just the same benefit that 3unit people get when they do 2unit maths questions in that 3unit experience "harder 2unit" so they will be used to the easy 2unit ones, or it is a different story

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
yeah. the only extra thing we learnt was double integration i think.

j4x0r

HSC
i remember doing double integration in math1241, that was fun

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
by "quite handy" is that just the same benefit that 3unit people get when they do 2unit maths questions in that 3unit experience "harder 2unit" so they will be used to the easy 2unit ones, or it is a different story
That's true to an extent, but what I really meant by "quite handy" and "useful" is that some of those extra concepts/theorems taught in higher maths will be covered in subsequent maths courses, and several other new concepts/theorems will branch off these. If a student does some second year course and has done higher maths in first year, then he/she should quite easily pick up the content that has been retaught, and he/she can concentrate on the newer more difficult material branching off that. Of course students that haven't done higher maths are still capable of learning the second year material and achieving well IMO, but they'll just have to work harder.

pyko

psychopyko.com
HSC
hmm...interesting topic.

I have also been debating between doing 'maths' or 'higher maths' and I decided in the end to do 'maths'; my reasoning being that since they don't go as fast I might be able to learn more/better (hopefully this is true).

Just wondering, if I take Maths in Session 1, can I change to Higher Maths in Session 2? and similarly, will I be able to change to Higher Maths in 2nd year (if I do Maths all 1st year).

From reading this thread I *think* I will be able to cope with Higher Maths, but just not quite sure, so I chose Maths just to be on the safe side (and also had too much Maths in high school!).

Also, how much harder/deeper is uni maths compared with high school maths? (I from QLD and did Maths B and Maths C). thanks!

j4x0r

HSC
pyko said:
hmm...interesting topic.

I have also been debating between doing 'maths' or 'higher maths' and I decided in the end to do 'maths'; my reasoning being that since they don't go as fast I might be able to learn more/better (hopefully this is true).

Just wondering, if I take Maths in Session 1, can I change to Higher Maths in Session 2? and similarly, will I be able to change to Higher Maths in 2nd year (if I do Maths all 1st year).

From reading this thread I *think* I will be able to cope with Higher Maths, but just not quite sure, so I chose Maths just to be on the safe side (and also had too much Maths in high school!).

Also, how much harder/deeper is uni maths compared with high school maths? (I from QLD and did Maths B and Maths C). thanks!
yeah you can change to higher maths in session 2 provided you do well enough, but in all seriousness, the normal maths is hard itself really, i did higher maths in the first year for two sessions and it's really hard, but despite being hard to understand, i pulled off good marks for both just from doing past papers :D

MATH1141=79
MATH1241=83

those were my marks back in 2003

gman03

HSC
Tips for 1st year maths student: I do not recommend new 1st yearer to buy things so called "computing notes for 1st year mathematics" or something similar in a hurry (if they will release it again this year). There is a online version in the maths' webpage. Also there should be no need to buy the textbooks before week1, just go to lecture first. 1131/1141 uses the same lecture's notes / text books.

Go Safin!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)