• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

maths 1131/1141 (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
gman03 said:
Tips for 1st year maths student: I do not recommend new 1st yearer to buy things so called "computing notes for 1st year mathematics" or something similar in a hurry (if they will release it again this year). There is a online version in the maths' webpage. Also there should be no need to buy the textbooks before week1, just go to lecture first. 1131/1141 uses the same lecture's notes / text books.

Go Safin!
Yes I agree. computing notes are a rip off!

And what maths and tennis have in common?! :D yes yes go safin indeed

j4x0r

HSC
doesn't the computing notes come with the whole pack of course notes that you buy? anyway i forget, i didn't really need the notes because a friend managed to find solutions to all those practice maple questions and i just learnt the commands off by heart to get full marks in the maple test >=)

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Zarathustra said:
So what is the difficulty of math 1141, compared to 1131? Would an average 3Uer find it impossible or not (with lots of study, of course)?
Dont you have to be a 4uniter to do 1141? The online handbook recommends a combined 3unit and 4unit mark of 186.

j4x0r

HSC
nah you can get in with just 3unit, ummm but i think the combined 2u+3u mark must be like 130+ or something

locu64

HSC
N/A
gman03 said:
Tips for 1st year maths student: I do not recommend new 1st yearer to buy things so called "computing notes for 1st year mathematics" or something similar in a hurry (if they will release it again this year). There is a online version in the maths' webpage. Also there should be no need to buy the textbooks before week1, just go to lecture first. 1131/1141 uses the same lecture's notes / text books.
Yeah it's the biggest fucking ripoff, you dont need them. If you're in a lab with maple the notes are available on the computer. I remember when I bought the course notes the guy kept insisting I need them.. it must be a big source of cheap cash for them.

Most of the recommended textbooks are a joke aswell for their price.

ALSO: My combined mark for 2U+3U was 105 and I passed MATH1131 easily (64!)

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
j4x0r said:
nah you can get in with just 3unit, ummm but i think the combined 2u+3u mark must be like 130+ or something
I think it's 140+

Arkad

HSC
j4x0r said:
yeah you can change to higher maths in session 2 provided you do well enough, but in all seriousness, the normal maths is hard itself really, i did higher maths in the first year for two sessions and it's really hard, but despite being hard to understand, i pulled off good marks for both just from doing past papers :D

MATH1141=79
MATH1241=83

those were my marks back in 2003
But aren't those marks scaled anyway like hsc, like the compensating effect. I guess nothing changes -- pass papers never fail.

j4x0r

HSC
yeah they are scaled, because basically the difference in the normal and the higher maths papers is that they both have 4 common question sections but in the higher maths paper, there are two sections based on the higher topics and they scale the higher students according to the performance in the two questions

shannonm

HSC
N/A
i thought they scale higher maths students according to their performace in the common papers?
such that if the mean mark of the 1131 candidature, in the first 4 sections, was greater than the mean mark of 1141 candidature in the first 4 sections, then 1131 would get most of the HD's and D's depending on the difference in net performances between the common papers
not dissimilar to hsc scaling adv/standard according to the common module (that's their only way to determine if advanced eng students are indeed ('better in english') than the standard cohort.
you need a way to compare the 2 groups of students, you can't just assume advanced students get a constant amount of scaling each year, wrt standard. the dfference is scaling is determined by performance in the common module

j4x0r

HSC
well i think i remember my lecturer saying the harder two questions were used, the cock-eyed calculus lecturer i forgot his name

Arkad

HSC
Hi shannon, I think you guys are basically saying the same thing. j4x0r has the same idea as you except he/she didn't exactly express it like that -- scale the uncommon according to the relative performance based on the common.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
j4x0r said:
well i think i remember my lecturer saying the harder two questions were used, the cock-eyed calculus lecturer i forgot his name
peter brown? :D
did you know he doesn't even have a doctorate

Arkad, thanks I get what j4x0r's saying now

sunny

meh.
HSC
...and he calls expansions and forumlas "sexy" and "cute".

j4x0r

HSC
nah not peter brown, i think peter lectured the normal streams when i did higher maths? (2003)...ummmm i think it was ian

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
i spoke to a maths guy on open day
he said they would accept my combined mark of 135 to do 1141

j4x0r

HSC
yeah they'd let you in with like 130's, i got in with 186 when they said (in my year of enrolment) 188 was required

pyko

psychopyko.com
HSC
just wondering...since I did highschool in QLD how do they calculate the combined mark things???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)