maths 2019 (1 Viewer)

stressedadfff

HSC
hey guys i realised that theres many questions from the old syllabus from this paper does anyone know why, also are we suppose to know how to do 15b?...
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 11.03.56 am.png

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
For 15b:

It can be shown that triangles ADC and CDB are SIMILAR and therefore their corresponding sides are proportional.
In particular:

Last edited:

A.void.that.thinks

HSC
I’m fairly sure that the 2019 paper is from the old course so that’s why a lot of the questions are part of the old syllabus :)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The 2019 paper is indeed from the old syllabus, back when Mathematics Advanced was called Mathematics :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
The new syllabus (2020 HSC onwards) has greatly reduced the inclusion of geometry, but it can still be asked as a part of something else as it is assumed knowledge. For example, as a MAX / MIN problem... holding the length AB constant, show that the maximum value of occurs when .

The formula given is easily found using similar triangles, as @Drongoski showed, or can be done using Pythagoras' Theorem, as @cossine suggested:

For the context I suggested, a MAX/MIN problem, we'd have where is a positive constant, the length of side .

We then seek to maximise :

Note: The calculus here is much easier if you get rid of the square root by defining another variable:

This has allowed us to avoid differentiating the function .

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
From my personal experience, geometry can show up quite a few times in vectors and a couple times in the trig sections (a bit less).

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
From my personal experience, geometry can show up quite a few times in vectors and a couple times in the trig sections (a bit less).
Removing geometry was a bad idea, IMO - it teaches valuable skills in mathematical reasoning and proof.

You are correct that geometry issues also show up in vectors, though that is an MX1 topic. It's even more useful in parts of MX2, particularly some types of complex numbers problems, where some circle geometry theorems must be known (even though they are no longer in the MX1 or MX2 syllabi) or some problems become much more difficult.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Removing geometry was a bad idea, IMO - it teaches valuable skills in mathematical reasoning and proof.

You are correct that geometry issues also show up in vectors, though that is an MX1 topic. It's even more useful in parts of MX2, particularly some types of complex numbers problems, where some circle geometry theorems must be known (even though they are no longer in the MX1 or MX2 syllabi) or some problems become much more difficult.
Yeah I enjoyed geometry in Junior Years the most so the absence of geometry in Year 11 kinda weakened my geometry skills into Year 12 so when I'm doing complex numbers or vectors, which are my first 2 topics, the geometry that pops up feels significantly harder than any of the algebra involved - so at times I'm more comfortable with doing paragraphs of working out however I've been slowly easing back into the geometric concepts since it is more intuitive and interesting. My teacher occasionally went on rants about how Circle Geo or Conics shouldn't have been removed for statistics or other topics so I can understand his frustration now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)