Maths 2U vs. Maths 3U (1 Viewer)

iBibah

HSC
Actually it does, you don't. And it doesn't get tested.
ah ok. I always though you continue to learn 2U and 3U (under the subject of 3U) and just add 4u on top.

So why does ext maths become 2 units?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
HSC 2u doesn't become assumed knowledge if you do 4u. You still need to attend 2u classes, and as already stated before you just dont get tested on them. Unless you just magically know everything in the HSC 2u course when you choose to do 4u...

Sanjeet

HSC
ah ok. I always though you continue to learn 2U and 3U (under the subject of 3U) and just add 4u on top.

So why does ext maths become 2 units?
Most schools make a separate class for 4U, so they do the 3U and 4U together. However at my school they kept the 4U students in their 3U classes so technically they do learn 2U stuff, but it's not really needed at all for 4U.
And I'm not completely sure why it becomes 4units

mathaesthetics

HSC
2unit is a general overview of relatively deeper concepts in math. The course is very calculus based with some study of trigonometry and series etc. 3 unit is simply going a little deeper not much of a jump if you ask me. 4 unit is where things get very interesting.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
2unit is a general overview of relatively deeper concepts in math. The course is very calculus based with some study of trigonometry and series etc. 3 unit is simply going a little deeper not much of a jump if you ask me. 4 unit is where things get very interesting.
2 unit is calculus based. What is 3 unit and 4 unit then? I would assume 3 unit to be trig, but what about 4 unit?

iBibah

HSC
Most schools make a separate class for 4U, so they do the 3U and 4U together. However at my school they kept the 4U students in their 3U classes so technically they do learn 2U stuff, but it's not really needed at all for 4U.
And I'm not completely sure why it becomes 4units
its because you still learn 2U. You may just get into the harder 3u stuff alot quicker but you still learn 2u when you do ext 2.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
2 unit is calculus based. What is 3 unit and 4 unit then? I would assume 3 unit to be trig, but what about 4 unit?
3u and 4u are more difficult applications and concepts based on calculus, you could say.

RishBonjour

HSC
2U has stupid shit like probability - drawing up sample space and counting.... in year 12. (I do 2u/3u - I just find that bit stupid)

AusHam

HSC
As a qualified teacher, I wouldn't say that 2 U has stupid stuff in it. Its just that every student is different and some kids will find 2U or Maths General 2 to be hard because of their mathematical skills and understanding

Out of 2U, 3U and 4U, I would personally say that 3U is the most balanced in terms of difficulty, understanding and the achievability of the questions.

2U is good for those who want a basic taste of calculus and the engineering maths. 4U imo is more focused on the algebra as opposed to the understanding. The good thing about the new 4U syllabus is that it focuses back on the understanding as opposed to the algebra. I would say though that basic conics, circular motion and banked tracks should still be included (but nothing beyond deriving the equation of a tangent or the equations of velocity and acceleration)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)