Maths 4 Unit high/low marks (1 Viewer)

asquith

HSC
How much work should we be doing each night on Four unit and what is the general mark that we should be getting?
plus: whats is the best way to study for four unit (specifics) e,g go through three unit first or...
what mark would be bad and what should be attainable?

sneeky pete

HSC
well i do about an hour most week nights, but during assessments its like 24hours! ha, not really but living in a math textbook helps our marks! from what ive been gettin, and our average, people getting 70 or 80 raw % seem to scale up into the high nintys, so aim for about 100%, get about 75%, and you will be fine! i just study everything and take good notes, i have math theory books with all formula and stuff and they are saving my life1 good luk girlie!

mat2154

HSC
at our school most people do about 2hrs of maths per day (including time before school and free periods), i really don't do 3 unit during the week, its mostly saved for weekends. to study i guess the best way would be to do a lot of questions from a variety of textbooks and past papers.
About a good exam mark, its pretty hard to tell cause it depends on how hard your schools exams are. to give you an example at my school the predicted band 6 cut of was a mark of approx 60% in the first exam, and last year about 70 people out of a 110 got band 6's.

Kmahal1990

HSC
Err hmm, those statistics sound awefully similiar to my school. Is that you Matt, in Nesbitt's maths class? :S. You should aim to do one exercise from Cambridge( or whatever maths book you have) per school day, or two days for an especially long exercise. That amounts to about, 2-2.5 hours a day (weekdays only). I don't see any reason to do maths on the weekend. However, from years of experience, i can tell you, the difference is made in the weeks leading up to the exam. You should put atleast 4-5 hours in each weeknight, and 7-9 hours on the weekend. In this time you should be doing past papers under exam condition, and doing the harder questions from the text books to get range and build an advanced understanding of the topic. By this time you shouldn't be revising concepts or formulas.

alexvincent

HSC
At least an hour per week night.
And when you have a class at school, you must revise the content of that class that very night.

G

gaoOO

... i'm erm, cramming for my trials in 3 days.

i guess i'd better pray for the best :(

theodore223

God's reincarnate
HSC
dont worry gaoOO, im cramming something shocking as well and my trials r in a week. i try to do about an hour a day, so that could include a free period during school time. and i have to do some on the weekend cos i only have class on mon and fri mornings.
Plus my teachers is saying that my marks of about 65 to 70 % are good marks to be getting now as the marks r likely to go up slightly when one only has study, not school assessments to worry about as well coms HSC exam time.

Another question, is ne one lese the only person in the 4U class, or is it just me?

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
theodore223 said:
Another question, is ne one lese the only person in the 4U class, or is it just me?
we've got 30 people doing 4U. But one of my friends who goes to a private school has only got one person in her 4U class.

christonastick

HSC
Yea man, i'm the only one in my 4u class, it's pretty sweet in some respects because it's just like having a tutor. On the other hand, there's no competition so i dont know, its alright.

theodore223 said:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
I really doubt the majority of 4u students actually assign a particular number of hours for maths every night. very very few people are disciplined enough to do something like that.

basically, you would have to do the homework each night. since 4u course is quite big, you will be doing a fair bit. i think after half yearlies, doing a trial paper a week (finishing as much as you can obv), and then studying for trials and hsc with past papers only, will get you 90+ easily, and if you're talented, then prolly 95+.

G

gaoOO

i actually found it easier to cram because there were less topics, although i did panic when i saw some 3 unit topics in my 4 unit exam because i hadn't crammed for 3 unit yet.

kony

HSC
A good mark would have the same numerical value as my number of posts

edit: oh i will post again, just need to delete old posts first.
i wonder if that actually lowers your post count hmm

<------------

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)