Maths Advanced and Standard are scaled as a single course (1 Viewer)

erucibon

HSC
N/A
"From HSC 2020, NESA will begin reporting HSC marks for Mathematics Standard and Mathematics Advanced on a common scale. This change was introduced by NESA in part to "[disincentivise] capable students who deliberately choose easier courses for a perceived ATAR advantage".

This change means that HSC students of comparable quality from previous years may not achieve similar HSC marks when being assessed on the common Mathematics scale.

How does this affect ATAR and ATAR scaling? Rather than UAC determining the relative scaling, NESA is taking this into account within the HSC mark itself. Under the new common scale, a student scoring a HSC mark of 70 in Mathematics Standard is intended to be directly comparable in mathematical ability to a student scoring a HSC mark of 70 in Mathematics Advanced. Because of this, UAC will combine both Mathematics course and scale it as a single course.

Should I study Mathematics Advanced or Standard? The relative scaling between Mathematics Standard and Mathematics Advanced is now only determined by the cohort's performance in the common sections of the Mathematics exam, rather than the cohort's overall performance in all other courses. Due to a range of factors, the performance of Mathematics Advanced students in the common exam sections will likely be significantly better than those studying Mathematics Standard. For example, students who study extension Mathematics courses are required to study Mathematics Advanced as a prerequisite. This means students who are capable of studying Mathematics Advanced should avoid studying Mathematics Standard as it risks placing them at a disadvantage on the common scale."

Nikolerak

HSC
So will Advanced scale higher or lower than prior to this change?

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
So will Advanced scale higher or lower than prior to this change?
I think the goal is to make the relative scaling of standard vs advanced more advantageous for adv students, so this would mean either worse scaling for standard or better scaling for adv. I would prob guess that it's worse scaling for standard because adv already scales well.

Nikolerak

HSC
I think the goal is to make the relative scaling of standard vs advanced more advantageous for adv students, so this would mean either worse scaling for standard or better scaling for adv. I would prob guess that it's worse scaling for standard because adv already scales well.
I just hope Advanced won't scale worse due to this!

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
I just hope Advanced won't scale worse due to this!
Ye I'm cautious of new ideas from nesa because it was our year that got screwed with naplan too. Although I passed it's still kinda dumb that we were the only year to ever have to pass it. If they messed something up it could be bad for us but I think they would have put a lot of thought into this because it would affect almost everyone if adv math was messed up.

beetree1

HSC
They should've told 2020 hsc students prior to when they chose their subjects in year 11 or just delayed this change for a few years and let the current year 10s know because this is kinda unfair for the maths advanced students....

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Source of this information?

erucibon

HSC
N/A
They should've told 2020 hsc students prior to when they chose their subjects in year 11 or just delayed this change for a few years and let the current year 10s know because this is kinda unfair for the maths advanced students....
I'm pretty sure this is making it more fair as it only affects maths standard students i think. It is for people doing standard for it being easy.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
also, Stage 6 Mathematics Standard and Mathematics Advanced Common Content
but not officially anounced by NESA
Whilst common content between Standard and Advanced was always there in the new syllabus, the leap to reporting on a common scale (similar to English Advanced/Standard and is done by UAC not NESA) has not been made official so I would take this with a grain of salt.

jojosiwa123

HSC
im confused, will this apply for our year or 2021? it does say that only the common sections will be included in the scaling so hopefully it doesn't put advanced students at a disadvantage :( wtf though we should've been told about this

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
im confused, will this apply for our year or 2021? it does say that only the common sections will be included in the scaling so hopefully it doesn't put advanced students at a disadvantage :( wtf though we should've been told about this
Given this has come from a website outside of NESA, best to assume this is just rumour (or worse misinformation) until anything official comes out of NESA or UAC.

As far as I am aware, NESA is just “researching options for a common scale” and nothing has been implemented. If anything has changed, you would expect that they would most certainly announce it or it can be easily found on any official documentation.

sammantha

HSC
If I have an average of 30% in Advanced maths and my rank is relatively low but I do really well in the HSC, would I be able to achieve a band 4 in maths?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)