maths advanced selection test thingo (1 Viewer)

jilly12

HSC
So I have chosen to do maths advanced however, I heard from my school at least that there is a test held where you need a certain mark in order to study that course. I just wanna confirm is this true or not and what topics will be on the test and if there is any revision stuff to help. thanks

jilly12

HSC
depends on school
likely, you will have topics from 5.3 — i'd assume non linear relationships (quadratics and curve sketching), trigonometry, algebraic skills, logarithms/expos and financial math ?
Thanks, but the problem is we haven't touch upon non linear relation ships or logarithms or financial maths yet and I heard the test is this term

sakinluvo

HSC
So I have chosen to do maths advanced however, I heard from my school at least that there is a test held where you need a certain mark in order to study that course. I just wanna confirm is this true or not and what topics will be on the test and if there is any revision stuff to help. thanks
We had a similar thing at my school but it was to get into extension. But most of the time the topics are generally the ones you've done this year so far but with more difficulty.

For my extension test, the topics were:
Year 9 (5.3) textbook
● Pythagoras’ theorem and Surds
● Products and Factors
● Trigonometry
● Indices
● Equations
Year 10 (5.3) textbook
● Surds
● Coordinate Geometry
● Products and Factors
● Equations and Logarithms
● Trigonometry
● Quadratic equations and the Parabola

syllables

HSC
Have a look at the prerequisites for Maths Adv on NESA's site. I'm presuming that all of those (that you've covered up until now) will be assessed.

The test is probably true (to answer your question). However it's important to note that it's only your school's method of determining your suitability for Adv, and not something mandated by NESA. There's varying 'requirements' for Adv across schools, whether that be getting a certain mark on a set test (like your case), or by a review of grades/results over Y10 and/or Y9, etc. In saying that, schools are typically lenient with letting people in as long you've successfully completed the 5.3 pathway.

Hope this helps clarify
Thanks, but the problem is we haven't touch upon non linear relation ships or logarithms or financial maths yet and I heard the test is this term

Vall

HSC
yea if the school says no to you for whatever reason just get ur parents to call or email the school. the school isn’t really allowed to stop you from doing advanced maths (or pretty much any subject). this method worked for me (for a different subject)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)