Maths and applied finance. (1 Viewer)

shhy8029

HSC
N/A
Hello, I know its not a good time to post a thread like this, with our final only days away. but i got a question..and need your guys' advice.

ok..I'm doing Bcom-Accg right now, in the second year. I've been handling this semester ok, anyway I was thinking about doing a double major(appfin+accg) from next semester..I know if I transfer i'll have to spend another year at uni but that's not the biggest issue for me...

my concern is about the maths involved in appfin course. namely accg329, 352, 353 and some other econ subjects. I've only done 2 unit maths back in high school, and didn't learn much since I wasn't thinking about going to uni. anyway I'm here and if I transfer to appfin how bad will I struggle in those subjects I mentioned above? I'm sure i'm a mathsy person I just didn't learn back in high school, and I wanna do appfin+Accg so bad.

please help me :)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Hi,

Do not be confused between double major and double degree. Two completely different things. Mac has double majors but they are not officially recognised, and you have to see the Accg department specifically to discuss (ref: Bill Blair).

ACCG329 has fancy looking maths, it looks intimidating, but there is nothing substantially difficult. The differentiation is easy, and is almost provided. The lecturer does not assume the students have a particular mathematical ability. It just looks hard that's all.

I think 353 would have easier maths, and I've heard 352 is generally easier than 329.

The 300 level econ (ECON335/350/360) of which you choose two, are the easiest subjects that you will do at University. For that reason I loved it. They are not proper economics, and are more gentle introductions to markets, institutions, and international finance.

Speak to an adviser in the department (Bill Blair specifically) and he will guide you personally. He has access to all information about you, from high school grades, to uni grades, and he knows the subjects back to front.

Rockerz

HSC
Heya,

I've done Accg329 last sem, ACCG353 a year ago, and currently doing ACCG352 now (sem 2, 2008). I am in my final year of an accg + appfin double degree.

For an appfin and accg double degree, you only need to do two of the three, but i'm just doing it because the topics look very interesting and its sort of closure to the appfin part of my degree as i'm looking to pursue a finance career.

ACCG 353 was definitely the most interesting as it dealt with M&A and Corp Finance, with also pricing of securities, options, etc.... the tutorials provide enough ammo for the exam (hint hint) and the final is not bad at all. I obtained a D for this unit, although I felt it very useful in learning about the market through the assignment and the technical is not that difficult.

ACCG 329 was definitely the most trickiest of all units I've done. It had a really strong focus on pricing of securities and hedging (hence the name of the unit) and involves a lot of intuitive thinking and strong efficient maths. The failure rate was quite high, although if you perform poorly in the mid-sem (P), it is still likely that you can still obtain a D overall if you concentrate on tute work- as in my case. This is a very tricky unit, but interesting at the same time.

ACCG 352, so far, feels like the easier version of 329.... and there are a broad range of topics covered, not just pricing of securities, etc. The topics look very interesting.

Overall, these units are very good in helping you understand the different areas of finance you can go into, if at all. If its not for you, then the accg part of the double forms as a back-drop into a more stable career option. There's not much 'presumed' knowledge, although so long as you keep up-to-date with the weekly work you will be more than fine! The maths you need to use is what they teach you to use throughout the unit- there's no statistical presumed knowledge needed, etc....just use what you learn from the tutes!

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Cheers =)

Last edited:

tash.

HSC
I have a question about math130.. if I withdraw from the subject now will it show up that I withdrew? or just that I failed?
And is there any kind of fee?

Tabris

HSC
The census date was 31st of August, if you withdraw after that date, you will gain a permanent Withdraw Fail on your transcript,

Its not worth the academic scar on your transcript, theres still time to cram.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)