Maths and English school rankings (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Hey does anyone know which paper and which date the school rankings for maths and english will be released?

panicstation

HSC
i no i'm gonna sound like a stats nerd but these lists are not really good because they don't sort out how many students actually got those distinctions ie one school could have lots of students who get over 90 in english advanced, ext 2 and ext 2. i bet that's what happens at james ruse. what we really need to find out is which schools get the widest spread.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Actually they do take into account the distribution this time for Maths and English unlike the overall rankings by the SMH. They even listed the percentages and numerical data. Quite comprehensive if you ask me.....

panicstation

HSC
Maybe I don't get it but as far as I can tell, they tell you how many candidates in total and then they list distinctions. What they should say is 168 candidates, then how many of those had distinctions. So, say you had 168 candidates but only 30 of those were awarded distinctions. In English, that could mean 90 distinctions even. So it doesn't show whether the school can teach everyone English or whether it teaches only those right at the top to be good at English.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
panicstation said:
What they should say is 168 candidates, then how many of those had distinctions. So, say you had 168 candidates but only 30 of those were awarded distinctions. In English, that could mean 90 distinctions even. So it doesn't show whether the school can teach everyone English or whether it teaches only those right at the top to be good at English
The SMH takes the number of English or Maths exams taken by the school and the number of exams that scored band 6 or band E4 and expresses them as a percentage. It doesn't take into account how many students got it.
If it says how many students out of everyone got it (like how you described it and preferred it to be), the information isn't as comprehensive and accurate. Here's an example to illustrate why:
School A:
- student 1 = band 6 in English Advanced
- student 2 = band 6 in English Advanced, band E4 in English Extension 1, band E4 in English Extension 2

School B:
- student 3 = band 6 in English Advanced
- student 4 = band 6 in English Advanced

If they were listed in your way then both schools count 2 students and are placed equal. However, it's pretty damn obvious they are not equal. Using the SMH system school A is ranked higher than school B because school A has 4 DAs compared to 2 DAs in school B. In this way, student 2 is acknowledged for scoring band 6/E4 for the three English courses rather than be equally acknowledged as those who scored only one.

panicstation

HSC
I disagree. You need to see how many students. The SMH way, it looks like many students scored distinctions when we know it couldn't be true. I think my model shows depth. Your "worked solution" shows why my idea would give a real indication of what the school did. The other way is misleading. That's what I think anyhow. Always glad to read other opinions tho.

Spon

HSC
can someone post up teh top ranking schools for english?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
panicstation said:
I think my model shows depth. Your "worked solution" shows why my idea would give a real indication of what the school did. The other way is misleading.
I don't see why your 'model' shows depth and how what I illustrated above shows why your idea would give a real indication of what the school did. To me it is quite obvious school A did better than school B.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)