• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maths bridiging courses at unsw (1 Viewer)

punk_tartan

HSC
hi
im most likley going to be doing materials science engineering next year at unsw. i did maths extension 1 up until the half yearlies of year 12 and then dropped due to poor marks and lack of time etc etc. Ive done half of the year 12 ext 1 course

the problem is that as part of the materials sceinec couse requires ext1. I got a band 5 in mathematics in the hsc, so should i bother doing a bridging course or not ? considering i cant fail any subjects as i will be on a co-op scholarship

gman03

HSC
Do a bridging course if you can.

You will need it for both maths and physics at first year level.

Ta

Last edited:

Affinity

HSC
yeah do something if not the brdiging course, a band 5 doesn't really cut it

HSC
bridging maths is pretty good, youll prob thrash the first half, you only need the end topic which is application of calculus
i did it, so if you got any questions ask away

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Affinity said:
yeah do something if not the brdiging course, a band 5 doesn't really cut it
actually with band 5 you will be fine. I got a band 5, albeit a high one, and still managed a distinction in first year math.

elfm

HSC
i recommend going to usyd for any bridging course needs. a nice change of environment, and it's all the same content. i think its cheaper as well, plus at least with chemistry, they gave us a cool course pack/book, probably the same with maths. i go to unsw. also, i think usyd goes for less days but for about the same amount of hours so you don't waste away your holiday.

gman03

HSC
velox said:
actually with band 5 you will be fine. I got a band 5, albeit a high one, and still managed a distinction in first year math.
Well if you have band 5 for ext 1 then yeah you're fine, but having done 2U maths only is not enough for first year maths...

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
if you can somehow learn the extra calculus stuff it will help (ie. integration, inverses, graphing). everyone is on a level playing field for algebra besides the 4u people who have done complex before.

srkrox

HSC
Casmira said:
bridging maths is pretty good, youll prob thrash the first half, you only need the end topic which is application of calculus
i did it, so if you got any questions ask away
qtn for casmira: im doin bcom this yr n ive done 2U maths in the hsc...got a band 5. i really need a distinction avg for first yr, so should i do a bridging course for maths? im worried bout qma and qmb...

karoooh

HSC
Which parts of 2U Maths would you need for Eco? Is it just calculus? I hope so, cos I remember everything else, except roots and co-efficients. :eek:

Would it depend on the majors you choose to do?

HSC
srkrox said:
qtn for casmira: im doin bcom this yr n ive done 2U maths in the hsc...got a band 5. i really need a distinction avg for first yr, so should i do a bridging course for maths? im worried bout qma and qmb...
3u maths will give you a head start, but ultimatley if you know the calculus and you work ahrd at it you will pull off a D if you work at it. this goes for anyone even doing 4u maths, you just gotta work at it. do not only your tutorial hw, but there are chapter references on hte lecture notes too your book.

econ or comm degree both need QMA/QMB as a core required course, youll need a good heavy knowledge of calculus too kick you off, matrices, and the rest is financial mathematics (application of equations easy shit), very easy probability and linear programming.

i am redoing that subject [qma] this semester so we can all fail together gracefully :D

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Casmira said:
i am redoing that subject [qma] this semester so we can all fail together gracefully :D
My father failed this subject when he did commerce at UNSW. Looks like I'll be doing the same next year...

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
qma is 'hard' because people underestimate it. if you compare it to the content of math 1a, qma is nothing.

HSC
yeh well that goes for anything, basic algebra seemed hard in year 7, trigonometry was a bitch in year8, etc. its all relative. give someone something difficult, once they accomplish it its hard compared too anything easier.

ZabZu

HSC
blackfriday said:
qma is 'hard' because people underestimate it. if you compare it to the content of math 1a, qma is nothing.
If you allocate a decent amount of time to study qma you will pass. Its important to attend all the lectures and tutes, plus theres extra help with pitstop and pass. I failed qma in semester 1 last year, so last semester i put a lot more time and effort into it and i got a credit.

srkrox

HSC
does anyone know which 3U maths topics specifically are needed for QMA and QMB?

HSC
matrices, 1st/2nd order derirative, etc. i wouldnt know too well, i did general maths. i heard something like those topics coming from 3u tho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)