• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Maths comp (1 Viewer)

HSC
thunderdax said:
If I remember correctly, since f(f(t))=f(t), f(t)=t and go from there.
If you were rigorously proving this, you'd have to first prove that f(a) = f(b) ==> a = b, but that isn't too hard.

f(a) = f(b)
Therefore f(f(a)) = f(f(b))
Therefore 6a - 2005 = 6b - 2005
Therefore a = b

casebash

HSC
The octrahedral one was so easy if you recognised the symmetry. Each of the corners gets an equal share. Far out I missed 2 questions in section 2 and 1 in section 3. I tried solving the quadritic for 11, but i stuffed up and got a complex answer. For the increase or decrease by three i almost casebashed it, but i made an error at the start. Even worse i forgot you don't lose marks for guessing. For qu 30, one vital fact is if two does not divide your number your number is the sum of 4 odds which is an even and contradiction. I got that off Graham White who solved all the questions.

HSC
casebash said:
For qu 30, one vital fact is if two does not divide your number your number is the sum of 4 odds which is an even and contradiction. I got that off Graham White who solved all the questions.
And the rest of the 'proof' is thus:

Let the number be n

We know that two of the 4 smallest divisors will be 1 and 2.
If another is 3, then we have n = 1 + 4 + 9 + a^2 = 14 + a^2. a/n, so a/14 (as a/a^2). We check 7 and 14, and they don't work.

Therefore 3 does not divide n

We check 4 in much the same way. (n = 21 + a^2, a/21, a = 1,3,7 or 21, but none work)

Therefore 4 does not divide n

We check 5, and get n = 30 + a^2. Checking the divisors of 30, we note that a = 10 works. This gives 130, which has a largest prime divisor of 13.

We have not proven that this (130) is the only number to satisfy these conditions (this would be an interesting question) but the question implies that there is only one (or at least that all of them have the same largest prime divisor). Therefore the answer is 13.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
how did people get the one with the square that had a triangle that was turned over??

i tried using algebra for ages but was gettin an answer different to the options, so i then got my scribbling paper and ripped it in2 a square of the appropriate shape and folded it then measured the side.....unmathematical but it worked :D

P

pLuvia

dawso said:
how did people get the one with the square that had a triangle that was turned over??

i tried using algebra for ages but was gettin an answer different to the options, so i then got my scribbling paper and ripped it in2 a square of the appropriate shape and folded it then measured the side.....unmathematical but it worked :D
but even if you did that, how could u measure the length of the diagonal, it didnt tell you anything about how much it was folded?

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
yeah it did, it said that it was folded so that the area of the triangle segment was equal to the other bit showing

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
The square one was 4, wasn't it?

I forget the algebra involved but, basically the answer, whatever it was, had to satisfy the condition that the shaded area S was equal to the unshaded area, U, or U+S+R=12 (the bit folded off = R), since the bit folded off had the same area as S. Now U=S, but S=R, so 3U=12. U=4.

Hopefully.

EDIT: Obviously I don't forget the algebra involved.

Last edited:

justchillin

HSC
Yeah I got 4 for the square one... sorry for sounding stupid but how do u do the octahedron one, I didnt see it... And did u say 13 was the last question answer...

HSC
justchillin said:
Yeah I got 4 for the square one... sorry for sounding stupid but how do u do the octahedron one, I didnt see it... And did u say 13 was the last question answer...
Yes, 13 is the answer to the last question.

For the octahedron question, if the verticies are A,B,C,D,E,F, then the volume closest to A isexactly the same as the volume closest to B, and so on, as the octahedron is perfectly symmetric, and as no point can be both closest to A and closest to B (implies PB >= PA and PA >= PB, therefore PA = PB, but the set of such points is only two-dimensional and so we can ignore it, having volume 0), therefore the answer is 120/6 = 20

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Aced it like a motherfucker!

last section took a while longer than the others, but altogether not too bad, must be the 4gunit lateral thinking kicking in

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
4U skills didnt help me at all really. I'm more better at theory exams rather than these for some reason.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
AMC last year was great. I got all 3 of the last 10 that I answered right, and missed out on a 3 marker and a 4 marker.

David_O

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
AMC last year was great. I got all 3 of the last 10 that I answered right, and missed out on a 3 marker and a 4 marker.
I could say something mean but I won't. :p

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Slide Rule said:
ac: Whoo! Credit. Beat you! ;)
Haha seems the bos clock got changed back, look, I'm replying to your post BEFORE YOU MADE IT!!!!

HSC
They're supposed to be rushed, otherwise there would be too many very high or perfect scores.

I just finished (changed an answer with about 7 seconds to go - forgot to check the x = 2 solution in the question with all the square roots, and realised it didn't work right at the end).

(EDIT: This clock thing is weird. This post is repling to casebash's post of 8:19)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)