• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Maths Dillema - To drop, or not to drop? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'd recommend you keep it. Your first test is hardly an indication of your ability in Maths. Try putting in some hard work during these holidays, and see how you do in the Half Yearlies.

Duffman0

Kick ass, chew bubblegum.
HSC
Eh. Still a little hesitant but...I'll stick with it >.< General is well, not too hard if I want to drop.

Thanks for all the input guys =]

HSC
i think its okay to go bad in your first exam, like do u seriously expect to get a high mark on your first go, u just gotta try harder for the next one and during these holidays pull your socks up

H. Caulfield

HSC
dude, i rekon UAI wise ur set for >90...
maths u shud drop if its really stressin ya out,,u'll probably improve on ur other subjects but if u cant drop it now (too late) then get a tutor
Good luk dude :)

oo STAVROS oo

HSC
Hey I had the same problem last year. I ended up dropping to general maths 2 weeks before the preliminary end of year exam and aced it whilst I would have done crap in mathematics caus I wasn't prepared to put in much effort.

I am still not sure if I have made the right decision because whilst I'm getting far better marks for doing minimal study, some uni courses I have looked at have required mathematics... in the end only you can make the decision

sarah889

HSC
it seems to me like you should definately drop maths. My friend contemplated dropping it last year and now regrets
but you should make the decision from your heart, if maths is not your passion do not pursue it

ellie-maye

HSC
Seriously...

GENERAL MATHS has 40% of the prelim content in the HSC. so...
DROP DOWN NOW...if you're doing crap at the beginning, you'll just do crap later.

I could have done 2 unit maths and got like seventies but i chose general and now im first with high nineties...

Ive watched people drop from 2 unit to general at the start of HSC...they're still doing crap even though it's meant to be easy... I seriously recommend dropping.

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
ellie-maye said:
Seriously...

GENERAL MATHS has 40% of the prelim content in the HSC. so...
DROP DOWN NOW...if you're doing crap at the beginning, you'll just do crap later.

I could have done 2 unit maths and got like seventies but i chose general and now im first with high nineties...

Ive watched people drop from 2 unit to general at the start of HSC...they're still doing crap even though it's meant to be easy... I seriously recommend dropping.
.....Is everyone from Dubbo like this?
It doesn't mean that your 60s and 70s will suddenly turn into 80s and 90s.
You still have to put the effort in.

I did 2u math but I couldn't remember how to factorise. I got like 6% for that test (yeah, probably only got my name right!).
When I dropped to general, I was still getting marks in the 60s and 70s because I wasn't trying. It had the reverse effect - I felt it was so easy that I became over-confident. I skipped the classes and didn't do the homework. Mind you, in my junior years, I was doing Advanced Math with marks in the 80+.

So really, whether you drop or not OP, you still have to put the effort in. General maths isn't any easier than 2u maths - speaking from experience.
But dropping maths altogether was probably the best decision I've ever made :)

If a challenge makes you listen and learn, then stick with 2u. If "easier" stuff (it's only "easy" because you already know a lot of the content, but you still need to revise it) makes you bored etc. then, again, stick with 2u.

Good luck.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Don't drop it now...Just stick with it until the HSC. Persevere it, and keep trying your best. If it doesn't work out, then drop it :). Mathematics requires practice, so the more you practice and revise your formulas, you'll be fine in 2U Advanced :). I've just learned this recently, because I had my 2U half yearly exam and I might squeeze in the 40s out of 50 (I know I've made 7 errors so far...). Disappointing.

But don't drop YET. Wait until the HSC internals begins. My advice.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
if i dropped math, my parents would think i went insane from too much anime.

I don't understand why people can't get 80+ in 2U math, is it because you can't remember the formulars or is it that you have trouble with algaebra?? What part of math is difficult?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
foram said:
if i dropped math, my parents would think i went insane from too much anime.

I don't understand why people can't get 80+ in 2U math, is it because you can't remember the formulars or is it that you have trouble with algaebra?? What part of math is difficult?
It just requires practice. No practice, then obviously you won't do well. It's not like English, where you read a text, memorise a few quotes, then edit your essays. Practice practice practice.

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
foram said:
you can't remember the formulars or is it that you have trouble with algaebra??
Algebra is sex. Geometry kills.
Remembering factorising is impossible, though.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Conspiración said:
Algebra is sex. Geometry kills.
Remembering factorising is impossible, though.
theres an easy method for factorising quadratics.

ax^2 + bx + c = 0

(ax + n) (ax + m)
a

where n and m are numbers that equal b when added together and equal to ac when multiplied together.

then you can factorise the top to cancel the "a" at the bottom.

It's the method i use, and it's that simple.

lisarh

HSC
In my opinion, I reckon you should choose 2u math over physics. I have the most awesome physics teacher, but I myself find some stuff challenging.

BUT for now keep all your subjects and see how you go at the end of term 3. Remember, 'There's always space for improvement.' :)

SO, in order to improve your maths, I'd advise you to go over things a lot until it becomes 2nd nature to you. For eg, I learn most of the topics I learn at school at tutor first, so when I eventually learn it at school, I already get it, and then when its revising for exams, its like coming back to it for a 3rd time. So that's how I do well in maths.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
lisarh said:
In my opinion, I reckon you should choose 2u math over physics. I have the most awesome physics teacher, but I myself find some stuff challenging.

BUT for now keep all your subjects and see how you go at the end of term 3. Remember, 'There's always space for improvement.' :)

SO, in order to improve your maths, I'd advise you to go over things a lot until it becomes 2nd nature to you. For eg, I learn most of the topics I learn at school at tutor first, so when I eventually learn it at school, I already get it, and then when its revising for exams, its like coming back to it for a 3rd time. So that's how I do well in maths.
Thats very true. But i learn things to a high standard before i start it at school, so at school i kind get bored a bit, and when ever the teacher puts questions up on the board, i can do them faster than anybody, and more correct too. Then lots of people ask me how to do questions and stuff, and somebody called me a 'math god', that made me feel very good. :D But it makes me very lazy at school, and i get over confident, and i end up loosing marks from things which are extremely careless. So don't get over confident even though you know everything.

Last edited:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
foram said:
Thats very true. But i learn things to a high standard before i start it at school, so at school i kind get bored a bit, and when ever the teacher puts questions up on the board, i can do them faster than anybody, and more correct too. Then lots of people ask me how to do questions and stuff, and somebody called me a 'math god', that made me feel very good. :D But it makes me very lazy at school, and i get over confident, and i end up loosing marks from things which are extremely careless. So don't get over confident even though you know everything.
I'd rather be over confident than knowing nothing :).

lisarh

HSC
Yeah, true. But there's gona have to be pros and cons for knowing everythings I guess. eg making stupid mistakes

bored of sc

HSC
foram said:
theres an easy method for factorising quadratics.

ax^2 + bx + c = 0

(ax + n) (ax + m)
a

where n and m are numbers that equal b when added together and equal to ac when multiplied together.

then you can factorise the top to cancel the "a" at the bottom.

It's the method i use, and it's that simple.
or you could use the quadratic formula :) works EVERY time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)