Maths-Ext 1/2 Marks Lost and Hardest Topics (1 Viewer)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Here is how sub works out:
--- remove equation that is not displaying ---

Now I'm sure you can see how this works out from here - far from elegant but it still works!

As for another trig sub, maybe :
--- remove equation that is not displaying ---
Neither of those equations is displaying for me. However, is the trig substitution that I know does works, and so I have modified your post and elaborated a bit so that it does display, as follows, for those who want to see the working:

I don't have time to look at the other solution at this moment, but will check it later today. :)

Qeru

HSC
anyone bothered to finish off the sectan integrating in the cos2theta substitution lol.? btw, u would factor out sec tan , and yeet that out with a sec theta = u substitution.

any smarter way than doing that algebra in cos2theta solution?
Yes but really difficult to spot is to use the 'reverse quotient rule,' whenever we are integrating a rational function it;s always a good idea to keep this trick in mind.

First note that
So rewriting the integral:

This is in the form where

So

idkkdi

HSC
my Cambridge ext 1 is like 750 lmao :\\

But isn't getting a band 6 based of the difficulty, I read something on SMH that was about extension subjects and having higher % of kids who get band 6, mainly cuz its something they are good at and willing to invest time into it, that's why music extension got like 50% or something band 6s?idk could be wrong, feel free to correct me tho.

and wdym algebra grind? copious amounts of working out or wot?
cambridge ext 1 for yr 12's even longer iirc and 4u questions are probably another level up from what you do in 3u.

idrc about this band 6 stuff.

some tricky working out. specific things you need to do to get to an answer.
And yes, copious amounts of working out in certain cases.

Jojofelyx

HSC
cambridge ext 1 for yr 12's even longer iirc and 4u questions are probably another level up from what you do in 3u.

idrc about this band 6 stuff.

some tricky working out. specific things you need to do to get to an answer.
And yes, copious amounts of working out in certain cases.
Ah shit, I see. anyway too good for band 6's, they better make a b7 just for you xo

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I said I would post looking at the approach. @vernburn was correct, it does work... but it's certainly not as easy a solution as the approach, and to show that it matches the standard result that

requires some difficult binomial work (especially to complete without any structure provided). So, here it is:

Now, consider that:

So, returning to the integral and putting (**) into (*), we have:

And we have where and so:

And so, from (***):

So, the result is the same but with a different constant of integration.

Last edited:

Qeru

HSC
It didn't load for me as well but looking at what @idkkdi said it seems like we convert it to sec and tan, but then wouldn't be better heres my working:

idkkdi

HSC
It didn't load for me as well but looking at what @idkkdi said it seems like we convert it to sec and tan, but then wouldn't be better heres my working:

I said I would post looking at the approach. @vernburn was correct, it does work... but it's certainly not as easy a solution as the approach, and to show that it matches the standard result that

requires some difficult binomial work (especially to complete without any structure provided). So, here it is:

Now, consider that:

So, returning to the integral and putting (**) into (*), we have:

And we have where and so:

And so, from (***):

So, the result is the same but with a different constant of integration.
open image in new tab with right click for vernburn. it doesnt load for me either lol.
btw i meant at the u = costheta step sub in CM's solutions you could factor out a sectan and use a use a sec substitution.

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
lmao its weird to think aa 75 raw gets around 90, and a 92 raw would get like a 95-96, 17 more marks raw = 5-6 more HSC marks, rip in peace.
Yep there’s definitely diminishing returns. 50 raw goes to like 80 whereas 99 raw goes to 99 and 100 raw goes to 100.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A

Yep, there are multiple substitutions possible. I think the and then method would actually be simpler as a direct substitution.

The most efficient, though, is your reverse quotient rule approach. I have never seen that before in more than 20 years of tutoring etc, so I am very impressed! :)

vernburn

HSC
The most efficient, though, is your reverse quotient rule approach. I have never seen that before in more than 20 years of tutoring etc, so I am very impressed! :)
Look at the 2014 4U last question. Many people used the reverse quotient rule to get it out in a few lines lol

Qeru

HSC
Look at the 2014 4U last question. Many people used the reverse quotient rule to get it out in a few lines lol
Yup thats where I got that technique from. For anyone interested, the integral is:

Last edited:

Qeru

HSC
Also try this integral from the MIT integration bee:

Last edited:

Nacseo

Newest Member
HSC
Yes but really difficult to spot is to use the 'reverse quotient rule,' whenever we are integrating a rational function it;s always a good idea to keep this trick in mind.

First note that
So rewriting the integral:

This is in the form where

So
Jeez my head hurt just by looking at these equations, I'm also gonna apply for Ext 1 Maths, but now when I see this I'm like, sh*t, SH*T.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)