• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Maths ext 1 bridging course hard? (1 Viewer)

Qrux

HSC
i do chemistry and physics and i wanna do engineering, the only assumed knowledge i dont have is maths extension 1, i was wondering how hard it is to do a bridging course for it?

and if you have done it the course, how you found it?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Hmm, did you know that you were going to pursue engineering when you dropped Maths in Year 10?

What engineering course specifically do you want to do? Most engineering courses are very mathematically orientated. If you haven't done Maths for 2 years then you will find Ext 1 Maths *VERY* difficult.

Just because you're good at Physics, it doesn't mean you'll enjoy engineering, or be good at it. This is because HSC Physics is very watered down, and doesn't contain any calculus.

Qrux

HSC
i do maths (advanced) but i just dont do extension 1. so im guessing it's pretty hard then?

im not really sure which course, im thinking the flexible first year would be good to see what i like and dont like.

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Oh, I thought you didn't do any Maths at all..

In that case, it may be more viable for you to pickup Ext 1 Maths now and try to catch up with everything, these holidays may be a start.

How do you rank in 2U?

Qrux

HSC
umm i find 2U ok, its relatively easy. I've just started year 12 so we havent done any assessments so im rankless, id say im above average though.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
don't worry about it

costs $300 and you can just learn what you need to know in your own time.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
2u is not 'advanced'. Also save yourself $250 and buy a 3u book to learn it during the holidays.

EDIT: If you've only just started year 12 why are you worrying about this shit?

Looking Glass

HSC
I did the Bridging Course - and it seemed even little of that showed up in intermediate first-year maths. If you think taking 3U will fuck up your UAI, then I would do the bridging course, or see if you have an ex-3u friend who might help you study it in the holidays, or something.

Last edited:

piitb

HSC
if you cant get 90+ in 2U maths then dont bother with doing engineering.

if u can get 90+ in 2u, then u should be doing 3U.

speak to the lecturers, they got stats on people who only did 2U maths and then went onto engineering and the failure rate is very high

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
piitb said:
if you cant get 90+ in 2U maths then dont bother with doing engineering.

if u can get 90+ in 2u, then u should be doing 3U.

speak to the lecturers, they got stats on people who only did 2U maths and then went onto engineering and the failure rate is very high
This is some shit advice.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
I didnt do it

and I failed first semester maths

For me, there was barely any 3U stuff. But i went to UNSW

Only benefit imo is getting into the maths, problem solving mode of thinkin'

doink

Clone
HSC
nah dude its okay, when they fire integrals at you which you have no idea how they are solved you should be fine.

piitb

HSC
A High Way Man said:
I didnt do it

and I failed first semester maths

For me, there was barely any 3U stuff. But i went to UNSW

Only benefit imo is getting into the maths, problem solving mode of thinkin'
no you DONT have to have done 3U maths or 4u maths, though there is some content that is very very useful (mainly the calculus stuff), no it is not re-examined because it is assumed already.

if you cant get say 85+ in 2u maths, then its very unlikely you have the mathematical aptitude to do the university level mathematics

heck, dont beleive me? then try it, and in 3 years time come back here and tell me i was wrong.....

if you really want to get the truth talk to the engineering advisors, tell them your maths marks and they will tell you whether you can or can not handle engineering.

Last edited:

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
i got 80 in 2u maths and im doing engineering at the moment (going into 4th year next year, got credits for half my first year maths subjects, mid-high passes in the rest).

If you do the work you'll survive (but don't expect anything above a credit). I probably put in as much work as some of my friends who did 3 or 4 unit maths and they got around 10 marks higher than me. Usyd has a learning centre that i used a few times (designed for uni students who need help with the maths and stuff).

That said: Concept wise, you'll all be at the same level about halfway through first semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)