Maths Ext 1 - General thoughts on the exam (1 Viewer)

pesila

HSC
You know what? It was a decently easy exam. Poor focus on topics, didn't cover enough of the course and lengthy, but there was nothing too hard there.
Even the induction was fairly easy in the end. I didn't get it, only one person from our school did (out of 11) but it's not that hard if you think about it. I don't think it was far from the standard of a standard 3 unit test besides length in terms of difficulty. But you know what? I'll take that scaling boost we're getting thank you very much!

Yeah like Priscilla would know, my time was something like /10 units, 2 for 3u, 7 for 4u, and 1 for everything else. Works anyway.

arkanisw

HSC
pesila said:
You know what? It was a decently easy exam. Poor focus on topics, didn't cover enough of the course and lengthy, but there was nothing too hard there.
Even the induction was fairly easy in the end. I didn't get it, only one person from our school did (out of 11) but it's not that hard if you think about it. I don't think it was far from the standard of a standard 3 unit test besides length in terms of difficulty. But you know what? I'll take that scaling boost we're getting thank you very much!

Yeah like Priscilla would know, my time was something like /10 units, 2 for 3u, 7 for 4u, and 1 for everything else. Works anyway.
dude, easy with hind sight, maths (hsc maths) is like a magic trick, once u no it it's simple. but in a timed and stressed environment it's not so easy to talk.

shelbie

HSC
Welli have to say i thought it was crap...... i am usually awesome at projectiles and i couldnt get it out... first little part of question 7 wasnt to bad but looking back i think i got 42/84 so.... hopefully thatll scale well..... but it was deffinately much harder than 2004/2005 paper.... and what a crappy induction question.... to many tans i began to get dizzy... and im not joking!

ikeelu

HSC
haque said:
It appears there are quite a few people think they got full marks even tho it was one of the longer 3u exams-which q u want answers for
the first 5 questions, if you wouldn't mind

Priscilla899

HSC
pesila said:

Pez, , please don't say decently easy. It would perhaps have been heaps easier if we had the time to think over everything really thoroughy.....most things come out if you look at them for long enough..but for the marks questions were worth there was so much working and for a 2 hour exam, thats what brought the difficulty level up.

who got the induction? i got some of it.......nearly all of it.........but i was missing a minus 1 so i slipped it in..............with some sort offeeble justification. lol

shsshs

HSC
shelbie said:
i am usually awesome at projectiles and i couldnt get it out...
hmm most of question 6 wasnt realli projectiles
i mean

(i) was distance formula
(ii) was finding a turning point through differentiation
(iii) this was the onli real projectile related question, and it was only 1 mark neway
you just differentiate y = vtsin@ - 1/2gt^2. and let dy/dt > 0 and sub in 't' from the previous part

i thought binomials shld have had a lot more weighting

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
I don't know whether or not to say 2U was harder or 3U was harder.
However, 3U was not so easy and required a lot of focus in examination conditions. No one should say that people are wrecked from one exam that they did, because in the real world people don't really care about an exam, life goes on beyond the hsc, start preparing for it, because your twlve years of school are nearly over, though not mine.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Hey guys do you think if i studied from cambridge extension 1 textbooks, then this exam would of been slightly easier for me (given that i understand everything in the cambridge textbook)??

Just wondering since i'm going to year 11 next year ...

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
Yeh Cambridge is pretty good, it has some really challenging questions.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Hey kido 1, how do the questions in this years ext. 1 exam compare with those presented in the cambridge textbook? As in, if i can do everything in the cambridge textbook, would i be able to do everything in this years exam??

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Mark576 said:
Hey guys do you think if i studied from cambridge extension 1 textbooks, then this exam would of been slightly easier for me (given that i understand everything in the cambridge textbook)??

Just wondering since i'm going to year 11 next year ...
Nah, you should be fine with Cambridge alone in this exam, although a lot better to source a lot of other textbooks as well.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
sorry for the late reply man.
Yeh as soul-searcher said try to use a variety of text books, but the book that works best alone is Cambridge,. Its got all sorts of questions and some questions are really challenging, which prepare you for the hsc. I used Cambridge, but also Fitzpatrick and excel as well as some others.But Cmbridge is good 4 u if u work hard.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
shsshs said:
do u guys reckon 82/84 wld get a state ranking?
it depends really how other people in the state went, how many rankings are there possible anyway? likw would 20th in the state get you a stste ranking would 100th in the state get u a state ranking?

yoda109

High Monk
HSC
depends on the number of people who do the course. With 9200 ish students, the top 10 places are reported (over 10000 = 20 places, Less than 1000 people = top 5 places are reported)

Cade

HSC
screw all maths and math extension 1 tests..bloody ridiculous..i dun even know why i took it. oh wait yeah..coz i needed an extra unit to back me up..rite...more like kill me further.. this test was so freakin harder than any other papers i ever did..considering tat i can barely do the others...haha..it'll be a miracle juz to get 2 significant figures as my marks...

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Cade said:
screw all maths and math extension 1 tests..bloody ridiculous..i dun even know why i took it. oh wait yeah..coz i needed an extra unit to back me up..rite...more like kill me further.. this test was so freakin harder than any other papers i ever did..considering tat i can barely do the others...haha..it'll be a miracle juz to get 2 significant figures as my marks...
You have my sympathy, but you never know sometimes (whereas usually you do know.....which is where the problem arises). Guess its the waiting game now.
Good Luck.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Cade said:
2 significant figures? You mean getting 5.0/84 or 9.0/84???

:p I know you mean two digits positive integer, or in other word 10+/84. If it is your extra unit, then don't worry about it like Rax said.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
Cade said:
yes don't worry man its only one damn paper. Besides its nearly ova 4 u -hooray.....
Everyone said 3U was tricky anyway.

k4t5UM0t0

HSC
I found the majority of the paper fairly easy though there were a few tricky questions.

I have never ever got a parametric question correct and never will

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)