• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maths Ext 2 Predictions (10 Viewers)

one eight seven

HSC
Actually, the word "plane" is used everywhere in HSC Maths e.g. "complex plane", "x-y plane" or "inclined plane". It's even in one of the vector topic dot points:
View attachment 45037
Seems pretty obvious that students are expected to know what the word "plane" actually means.

Even if they don't explicitly use the word "plane" there is no reason why they can't just synonymously label it as a region or a set of points in the number space that satisfies a set of conditions.

What I mean in my earlier post is that there is nothing stopping them technically asking something like this:
View attachment 45039

If we honestly think they can't use the word "plane", then what's stopping them replacing the word "plane P" with "region R" or "a set of points P"?

The point is that students can answer this question with the tools they have within the syllabus and it doesn't require knowledge outside the syllabus (i.e. notice it's not asking you to recall the equation of a plane). All you need to do is compute the dot product of two perpendicular vectors (with a bit of work to figure out what those vectors are) to derive the result. This is simply an "application" of something in the syllabus to explore something unfamilar.

If you want to dismiss this as being "outside of syllabus", then you do so at your own risk. The HSC exams have time and time again proven otherwise throughout history because they can sneakily lean on this "application" side of the syllabus (which is why Ext2 has this reputation for being so challenging in the first place).
I emailed NESA about this a while ago and they explicitly said "The equation of a plane is not part of syllabus content however students need to have a conceptual understanding of the nature of a plane." and provided the exact same dot point that you provided.

But I think NESA most likely won't ask this anyway, because while some students may be able to guess the procedure here, students don't really know what they're dealing with when they see an equation such as x-z=1. How would they know that this procedure correctly maps all the points on the plane to that Cartesian equation, or whether the plane is possibly a subset of that Cartesian equation or vice versa? And what exactly is the meaning of something like x-z=1 for somebody that has not studied planes besides simply using the result algebraically?

I think NESA would be more creative and would prefer to write something that wouldn't provide a significant advantage to particular students, such as those who have studied and understand the Cartesian equation of a plane. Similar to how proponents of learning the cross product have not been able to actually use it in any exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 5)