Maths extension 2 advice needed (1 Viewer)

AFGHAN22

HSC
Hey guys
I am in year 12 and i am going to do 4 unit maths in year 12 and i was just wondering what i could do to assist in my preperation. I have heard that 4 unit students don't ned to do any 2 unit work so does that mean i don't need to learn any of the work from the 2 unit syllabus and just concentrate on the 3 unit work and 4 unit work?

FinalFantasy

HSC
AFGHAN22 said:
Hey guys
I am in year 12 and i am going to do 4 unit maths in year 12 and i was just wondering what i could do to assist in my preperation. I have heard that 4 unit students don't ned to do any 2 unit work so does that mean i don't need to learn any of the work from the 2 unit syllabus and just concentrate on the 3 unit work and 4 unit work?
hi
"I am in year 12 and i am going to do 4 unit maths in year 12 "
I don't follow that...so r u doing 4u now?
"I have heard that 4 unit students don't ned to do any 2 unit work..."
4u students don't need to do the 2unit exams, but they need to learn the contents in the 2unit syllabus to get through some of the stuff in 4u
you still do 3unit exams along with 4unit exams

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
AFGHAN22 said:
Hey guys
You need to be pretty well versed in the 2U syllubus. It contains the foundation techniques that you need for the 3U and 4U work. You will probably find that a lot of the 2 unit stuff becomes second nature given how much you will use the basic techniques but I wouldn't bypass 2U work all together. Considering the work I've put into mathematics in year 12 I'd say that < 10% was devoted to 2 unit content.

For preparation, it's always helpful to look over topics ahead of time. Find out what topic(s) you're going to start with (complex numbers is a popular starter, partly because it's a good stand alone topic which isn't as dependent upon 3U work) and read over some of the basics then attempt a few questions. If you start to feel ambitious then venture further into the topic and see what you can teach yourself. Good luck, it gets easier as you go.

richz

AFGHAN22 said:
Hey guys
hi im a bit confused like FF, "I am in year 12 and i am going to do 4 unit maths in year 12". :confused:

anyway u dont do the 2u maths test but u still need to know sum concepts, eg. the length of an arc given a radius and the angle of the sector, lol, just did one past paper and i had no idea how to do it, just remebered some gay concept in 2u i needed to use -_-. So its important. Also u need some of the series eqns, argh which i hate :vcross: i hate those equations.

A l

HSC
N/A
xrtzx said:
hi im a bit confused like FF, "I am in year 12 and i am going to do 4 unit maths in year 12". :confused:
I think he was meant to say he is now in Year 11. I think he's getting too hyped up about Year 12 next term.

maths > english

Rejected Member
HSC
AFGHAN22 said:
I have heard that 4 unit students don't ned to do any 2 unit work so does that mean i don't need to learn any of the work from the 2 unit syllabus and just concentrate on the 3 unit work and 4 unit work?
in maths almost all of the new work u cover will depend on something youve learnt before which means u still have to learn the 2 unit course

but dont worry because after you first learn the 2 unit course u wont have to revise it as it is revised through all the new work u will cover in 3 and 4u

the 2u course forms the foundation for the 3 and 4u course

AFGHAN22

HSC
Clarification

sorry guys, I was in a rush when i was typing
what i meant is that I am currently in year 11 and aiming to do 4 unit in year 12. I know that 4 unit students don't need to do any 2 unit exams but I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to work on the topics from the 2 unit syllabus such as applcations of geometrical properties, coordinate methods in geometry, geometric applications of differentiation, integration, exponential and logarithmic functions, trigonometric functions, applications of calculus to the physical world, probability, and series applications. So which of these above topics would it be recommended that i finish before starting 4 unit in term 4. Thanx 4 all ur replies guys. They have been greatly helpful.

Trev

stix
HSC
Why bother doing any of the course ahead?
Your teacher will most likely make sure you have covered the topics in extension 1 first that assist in the extension 2 topics. ie. Physical applications before you do mechanics and whatnot. It's usually why schools do complex numbers as their first extension 2 topic.

FinalFantasy

HSC
Trev said:
Why bother doing any of the course ahead?
Your teacher will most likely make sure you have covered the topics in extension 1 first that assist in the extension 2 topics. ie. Physical applications before you do mechanics and whatnot. It's usually why schools do complex numbers as their first extension 2 topic.
our 4unit class is ALL "accelerated" students EXCEPT me.
last year i joined in the 4u class and they didn't care about me at all
i had to learn things by myself, the 4u teacher just assumed that we all know the whole 2\3unit course lol
if i waited for my 3u class to teach those things i would be a gonna by now

when we did first topic, complex numbers, i had to learn by myself: maths induction(cuz teacher said he will put an exam question to prove De Moivr'es Theorem but he didn't at the end), binomial theorem(for some of those complex number things), series and sequences(for some applications in complex numbers).
also i was FORCED to miss several 4u lessons person cycle, everyone had 13 lessons per cycle and i was FORCED to attend those 3u classes(which didn't teach anything) for half the lessons, so i only got 7 lessons out of the 13 compared to everyone else.

so yea.. u better consider how ur school\teachers are gonna treat u lol
dey didn't want me doing 4u, i had to fite dem for a long time to get in:\

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
yeah, the basic 2unit stuff u need for 4unit can be learnt in class, whereas some topics often appear as harder 2/3 unit in the higher exams, such as:

*inequalities
*series (also going to be my downfall)
*circle geometry
*logs and exponential

all the other topics like the 2unit mechanics and co-ord geom, need 2 be known as pre-req for the topics in 4unit

basically, listen in 2unit, copy down the notes, and get a good understanding of it, the same in 3unit, this is often the difference between the very top and the top students,

hope this helps

cheer - dawso

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
i had to learn things by myself, the 4u teacher just assumed that we all know the whole 2\3unit course lol
lol...well, if only you got into the top 20 in Yr 8 - you'd have been in the accelerated class in the first place. There's a message for all prospective MX2 students who are now in Yr 7 or Yr 8 :D

FinalFantasy

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
lol...well, if only you got into the top 20 in Yr 8 - you'd have been in the accelerated class in the first place. There's a message for all prospective MX2 students who are now in Yr 7 or Yr 8 :D
hahaha
i never knew i would wana do it
i was always a bludger and nvr listened or did any work until the end of year 11

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
To the OP:
It is necessary to know the 2U course prior to doing MX2, which virtually assumes that you are proficient at all 2U and MX1 coursework.

In preparation for MX2, you could try reading over the syllabus and flicking through a textbook. However, I've personally found it quite difficult to grasp concepts without the guidance of a teacher. Some people, nevertheless, are far more intelligent than me and are able to teach themselves :D
If you wish, you could have a tutor teach you some parts of Complex Numbers later this term or during the Term 3 break...if not, you could go over the foundations yourself.

AFGHAN22

HSC
Can any of you guys recommend any 4 unit textbooks that are quite precise and straight foward. So far during years 7 to 11 I have religiously been working from the "understanding year _ maths" from the accelaeted maths learning series by DR max shur. However, the Cambridge books suck and I m looking for 4 unit textbooks that can maximise my progress and understanding.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
The best one for explanations IMO is Patel, as it is laid out in a very straight forward manner, Lee's book is also good in this area. Coroneos' is exhaustive in that it has just about every possible example or question in there somewhere but I personally find that the way its set out is a tad off putting, however many seem to prefer to use his book and have no problem with it.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
AFGHAN22 said:
Can any of you guys recommend any 4 unit textbooks that are quite precise and straight foward. So far during years 7 to 11 I have religiously been working from the "understanding year _ maths" from the accelaeted maths learning series by DR max shur. However, the Cambridge books suck and I m looking for 4 unit textbooks that can maximise my progress and understanding.
Cambridge is good for 2U and MX1, but isn't as good for MX2...it's still ok though. If I were you, I'd just try and get my hands on as many as possible and see which one I liked best. There are quite a few - Cambridge, Patel, Lee, Fitzpatrick, Coroneos.

Trev

stix
HSC
FinalFantasy said:

when we did first topic, complex numbers, i had to learn by myself: maths induction(cuz teacher said he will put an exam question to prove De Moivr'es Theorem but he didn't at the end), binomial theorem(for some of those complex number things), series and sequences(for some applications in complex numbers).
also i was FORCED to miss several 4u lessons person cycle, everyone had 13 lessons per cycle and i was FORCED to attend those 3u classes(which didn't teach anything) for half the lessons, so i only got 7 lessons out of the 13 compared to everyone else.

so yea.. u better consider how ur school\teachers are gonna treat u lol
dey didn't want me doing 4u, i had to fite dem for a long time to get in:\
Riteo then; I just assumed teachers would make sure you had learnt the relevant extension 1 work first. I have the same teacher for extension 1/2 and he made sure we had, he puts so much effort in for us.

FinalFantasy

HSC
Trev said:
Riteo then; I just assumed teachers would make sure you had learnt the relevant extension 1 work first. I have the same teacher for extension 1/2 and he made sure we had, he puts so much effort in for us.
my 4u teacher at school would just say "Well too bad so sad"
den he'll put up a grin
LoL
yea u gota take care of yaself here

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
Trev said:
haha, teacher caring about us, bahaha, it is at this time that i refer to a photo i took of our teacher but cannot post up due to legal reasons, some members of the bored clan will know what im talking about however....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)