Maths Extension 2? Should i do it with 13 units? (1 Viewer)

zozoraneem

HSC
Hi everyone, i just started year 12 (4 weeks ago)
i found out that i got first in Extension 1 maths with a raw mark of 89.3%
No one in my school has picked Extension 2 maths but all the teachers are encouraging me to.
i did a trial lesson (one on one with the teacher) for Complex Numbers and it was fun until i had to do the exercises.
i have 12 units withot Extention 2 Maths with the following subjects:
- Chemistry
- Biology
- Maths 2 U
- Maths Ext. 1
- Arabic
- Arabic Ext. 1
- English

if i pick maths 2U it would be 13 units all together.

is it worth it?
Do you think i should do it?
Whats my disadvantages and advantages if i picked it?
Why did you pick it?!

Christofu01

HSC
First off, are you 100% certain about keeping all your other subjects?

I do Ext 2 and have 12 units at the moment. I'm really enjoying it as well, and there's over 50 people in my year doing it. I picked it because I enjoy
maths, I enjoy a bit of a challenge (and my parents wanted me to have back up units).

One major advantage is that the scaling is amazing. Disadvantage would probably be the complete difficulty of the course, but (basically) everyone struggles.

I know a friend that has 13 units including Maths Ext 2, and he's coping fine. So if I was in your position, I would at least do Ext 2 for a term, do the first assessment, and then evaluate all your subjects. Because honestly, you could be really good at Ext 2 but you don't know yet, and you don't wanna miss out on an opportunity for such a good mark.

Feel free to message me, hope I helped :)

iStudent

HSC
I said this on another thread but... DROP BOTH ARABIC SUBJECTS (unless you're extremely good, it won't even count! Even if you are extremely good you're like capped at 96.4 :L)

callipygian

HSC
I did 4U maths with 13 units, totally doable and in my opinion so much fun. There are advantages and disadvantages, and what works best for you might not be the same as what worked for me, but I'd recommend picking up 4U maths; if you do decide to drop it later on it definitely adds to your 3U skills (integration, parametrics etc.) so either way you'll probably end up better off.
Good luck! :)

HSC
It seems to me that you seem to be doing pretty well in Ext I maths - and being encouraged by your teacher to pick it up, that's such a good sign. I don't agree with going in year 12 with 13 units (I tried then died,) and I really think you should pick it up! :) I mean, the worst thing that could happen is you pick it up, struggle with the workload/hate it then you drop it. If you're not 100% certain on your other subjects then I think you should consider dropping the subject you either hate the most or are performing the least in.

Is it worth it?

- Yes (in my opnion) because so many people cannot maths. Especially not a 4unit level. I'm not one of them and I wish I could, and I think if you're capable enough to do it you should go for it.

Do you think I should do it?

- Hell yes

Advantages:

- It's 4unit, if you do well in it (and you probs will since you're travelling well in 3unit,) and will lift your 3unit
- Scales well
- Can always drop it

Disadvantages:

- Lots of lessons
- Pressure of learning harder content
- Less time on other subjects (since it's an extra unit)

I wanted to do 4unit but well, I'm one of those people who can't maths and Ext I was my worst subject since I could not cope with the work of 13 units and perform equally well in everything. My brain isn't mathematically wired but I wish it was and am working on it!! XD But anyways, good luck with making a decision, and just see how you go for this term and what the workload and your results are like :)

Christofu01

HSC
Why would anyone want to do more units than they have to? I have never understood that.
I have an extra two in case i stuff up one of my subjects haha. But also, I love all of the subjects I am doing, and cannot decide if I want to drop one or not.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Yeah lol. Some of my friend's excuses for not dropping any subjects + keeping extension subjects were 'if I do bad in one subject then it's a backup'.

But still - you're putting more effort into more subjects so all your subjects will suffer. I'd rather have more time to study and do well in my minimum 10 units.
this again.

I did 10 units for my HSC (+ catholic studies) and while I just did alright; I still got a decent atar and am doing what I like at uni now :D

it's all about playing the game

turntaker

HSC
Drop to 10 or 11 units if you are doing 4U maths, Nearly 50% of your time will be spent on 4U.

zozoraneem

HSC
It seems to me that you seem to be doing pretty well in Ext I maths - and being encouraged by your teacher to pick it up, that's such a good sign. I don't agree with going in year 12 with 13 units (I tried then died,) and I really think you should pick it up! :) I mean, the worst thing that could happen is you pick it up, struggle with the workload/hate it then you drop it. If you're not 100% certain on your other subjects then I think you should consider dropping the subject you either hate the most or are performing the least in.

Is it worth it?

- Yes (in my opnion) because so many people cannot maths. Especially not a 4unit level. I'm not one of them and I wish I could, and I think if you're capable enough to do it you should go for it.

Do you think I should do it?

- Hell yes

Advantages:

- It's 4unit, if you do well in it (and you probs will since you're travelling well in 3unit,) and will lift your 3unit
- Scales well
- Can always drop it

Disadvantages:

- Lots of lessons
- Pressure of learning harder content
- Less time on other subjects (since it's an extra unit)

I wanted to do 4unit but well, I'm one of those people who can't maths and Ext I was my worst subject since I could not cope with the work of 13 units and perform equally well in everything. My brain isn't mathematically wired but I wish it was and am working on it!! XD But anyways, good luck with making a decision, and just see how you go for this term and what the workload and your results are like :)

Thank u soooo much!
That helped a lot!

zozoraneem

HSC
Thank you everyone!
Everyone's responses are reasonable thank you!

callipygian

HSC
Why would anyone want to do more units than they have to? I have never understood that.
Because year 12 isn't just about the ATAR. Yes, the HSC is a means to an end, but if you can cope with more than the minimum and you enjoy your subjects and being challenged, why would you sacrifice that enjoyment just to do a little better in those core subjects?

Honestly, I have never understood the attitude "stick to the minimum because it's easier"...

studyfreak

HSC
i did extension 1 in year 11 and dropped it in late term 1 this year as it took alot of my time especially with the fact that i am doing alot of humanities subjects. but if you feel that u can give it the time it needs and get the marks (which by the looks of it your already are) then go ahead and do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)