Maths for Commerce degree at Maquarie ? (1 Viewer)

katie2011

HSC
So basically i dropped maths .. (i know stupid of me).
I wasn't hopeless , the subject in general i was just sick of and i'm regretting it now
I'm doing really well so far in business and really enjoying it and was thinking of doing a commerce degree. Iv'e heard different things like you only need statistics and such ..
is there any possible way of getting into the course i want ? and if so whats the fastest route ?

thank you :)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I didn't even do maths in year 11 and 12 and found absolutely no problems studying a commerce degree specializing solely in accounting. Most of it is intuitive and common sense. There are also bridging courses at your disposable if you feel you can't handle it, but to be honest I can't see it coming to that. Perhaps a major such as finance would be more mathematically challenging (you'd have to ask somebody studying that), but I can say accounting is really not mathematically challenging. Marketing and HR have very little if any maths too.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Also I've closed your thread in Macquarie and would probably stick to this one as you'll be able to get the insights of all students studying commerce (at Macquarie and others).

katie2011

HSC
for finance I would say that 2 unit maths is needed
I was definitely thinking more marketing or HR for a major.

Thanks Azure :)

Also if anyone knows about bridging courses and how they work in relation to not having done year 12 maths. I did however do preliminary maths (Year 11) if that counts for anything ..

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
If you're going the HR/Marketing route you really won't need a bridging course to be honest.

You should be able to get by on what's taught to you (and the maths will be extremely minimal and really simple or non existant).

You'll probably have to do stats and finace in your first year. Finance you should be able to do just by learning the techniques taught to you. As far as stats goes, is it even taught in the HSC?

myst1fy

HSC
N/A
you should be fine without it considering your major choice.

katie2011

HSC
Your maths skills will most probably suffice. There's really no need for a bridging course.
Hopefully haha :)

I just hope that by NOT having math in my subjects will they knock me back straight away ?
im such a worry wart..

and thanks for the replys everyone again .

Lou283

HSC
I am a marketing major and I can honestly say don't worry. The only number subjects you will do is introductory classes in finance, accounting and statistics and it more about understanding the formulas then being good a maths. As long as you keep on top of those ones and ask questions if you get stuck you will be fine. There is also a numeracy centre where you can go and get help with subjects like these. My advice go for it and as long as you stay on top of it every week and ask help straight away if you don't understand something (ie not night before exam) you will be fine. Once you get past those intro subjects you wont really need maths again for Marketing and HR majors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)