MATHS for PSYCHOLOGY?!?! :S (1 Viewer)

3Lachlan2

HSC
One of my friends is doing a Science degree, with an assumed "Mathematics" having done General Maths for the HSC, and I'm doing one Psych subject as a part of my degree (assumed "Mathematics") with 2 unit Maths HSC. Because the General course is based a lot more on Statistics than the theoretical stuff we cover in 2 unit, she's finding the Maths easier to understand and figure out straight away.

2c inserted.
what are you saying? sorry i cant really get what u mean... u did 2 U advanced but found it easysince the general course was.... huh? please repeat more simply, sorry lol

3Lachlan2

HSC
yeah you still have to do Statistics and Research Methods for Psychology as a subject in second year which is a stats subject. hence lots of statistical equations and such.
does general meet that? and does 2 unit even deal with data?

em_516

bludging..
HSC
what are you saying? sorry i cant really get what u mean... u did 2 U advanced but found it easysince the general course was.... huh? please repeat more simply, sorry lol
Laura's saying she did 2 unit maths and her friend did general maths in high school. Now they're both doing a maths course in degrees that assume they've done 2 unit maths. The girl who did general maths is finding her maths course easier because a big component of general maths is stats. In 2 unit maths, not so much.

I found this as well. One of my friends in high school often came and asked me for help with stats despite the fact she was in 2 unit and I was in general. Tbh I find this a bit ridiculous though..

As I said before though, you get out what you put in.

LauraHLH

HSC
^ What Em said.

She and I are doing basically equivelent subjects, and even though she did General (not 2 Unit as was "assumed" for her course) she finds the stats a lot easier to work with since that is what the General course is.

3Lachlan2

HSC
^ What Em said.

She and I are doing basically equivelent subjects, and even though she did General (not 2 Unit as was "assumed" for her course) she finds the stats a lot easier to work with since that is what the General course is.
which is what i am concerned with. i see that stuff like standard deviation are required knowledge, and appear only in general, as oposed to 2 unit which basically has zero stats in it. if i am to go into a psych degree wouldn't it be beneficial to have a good grounding in the required maths?! forget the fact that i am capable of advanced, the question of applicability must take precedent, shouldn't it????

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Don't make your decision solely on what's been said here, but to add my personal two cents, I did advanced mathematics all through high school - wasn't always great at it but I did well enough, but I wasn't really enjoying it. So I chose general mathematics for my senior years (rather than start advanced and drop) because I knew I just wanted to enjoy my final years, but still have a bit of maths in the mix *loser*.

Came first the entire two years - obviously I put in effort, but it was never any real strain and I continued to enjoy maths. As I mentioned earlier, I was able to relax with my own maths and helped out my mate who did advanced and struggled with more simple concepts.

I think there's always that fear that general maths is scaled down, and I'm not sure how true that is, but I ended up with awesome general maths scores which I would never have gotten close to if I had done advanced, and got a pretty epic uai considering I had a pretty cruisy year and watched others crumble around me.

So basically, the point of my long-winded bullshit, is that general maths doesn't have to be a bad thing, as long as you have a go. That said, I think I'd rather suggest you try out advanced maths before bailing to general maths. I'd hate to fuck up your future. :)

EDIT: I should probably also add, there's never been any maths in my degree. So I can't comment on how I would've fared if my maths had been tested at a tertiary level.

Last edited:

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Surely Lachlan it would be sensible to consult the careers teacher at your school before making any subject changes.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Surely Lachlan it would be sensible to consult the careers teacher at your school before making any subject changes.
Don't ever switch highschool subjects for a uni-degree, unless it is 100% required to be accepted into the course it's stupid. Highschool is about doing whatever you're best at, so as to give you a good chance of a high UAI.

Screwing up your UAI to learn something that would take 10 mins to learn through wikipedia is just dumb.

~untitled~

HSC
General will do you fine. Dont stress. Please, do not change subjects if its just assumed knowledge. Do what you are comfortable with in the HSC, unless ofcourse its a prerequisite (i doubt it would be, im pretty 99.9% sure its not) then you should probably change to mathematics.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Don't ever switch highschool subjects for a uni-degree, unless it is 100% required to be accepted into the course it's stupid. Highschool is about doing whatever you're best at, so as to give you a good chance of a high UAI.

Screwing up your UAI to learn something that would take 10 mins to learn through wikipedia is just dumb.
Sounds right :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)