Maths General- anyone have doubts? (1 Viewer)

Instinct77

HSC
anyone else worried about thursdays maths exam? any tips to prepare for it?

Im not the greatest under exam/test conditions but don't mind maths when given a little more time rather than rushing my answers and making obvious mistakes which is had been reflected throughout the year. I only got 51% in trials but overall spent the least about of time on it which was wrong being my worst subject so i guess theres hope for 70%... mabey..

guess all i can do is cramming/practice practice!

gnome8

HSC
oh I have doubts - doubts as to why such a bloody difficult subject is even offered! if u ask me they should just scrap maths all together
does anyone else find it so bloody useless?

Kew

HSC
I have doubts for myself. I have my weak points in math as I do not enjoy it one bit. I have the potential, but the motivation is just not there..

mz`ds

HSC
a good way to study for maths is to do heaps of past papers :)

xJennax

HSC
I'm pretty scared. Maths is my worst subject, I've never done well in it. I was reading over all my notes earlier and it makes me feel worse lol. Got to start doing some questions...although it's harder than being in class doing them. =/

*Baby-K*

HSC
Go through the syllabus and make sure you know each topic- which is what I did today, just went through my notes. Started my last HSC past paper 2006 (cause i've done the rest) got to question 27 and started feeling hungry :) so I am having a break. But seriously the best thing to do is practice questions, if you don't understand the question check how to do it with your notes.

nugget01

HSC
yeah the success one hsc general maths book helped me a fair bit. my teacher said i could get a band six, but i think i'll probs get a solid band 5. only thing i'm having a bit of a problem with is linear eg. in multiple choice they give you an equation and a choice of linear diagrams that you have to choose from to match it with.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Although i dont do General, its pretty much the same for all maths; by this time of year u should know all formulas and HOW to do questions (in ur case u guys get the formula sheet so KNOW how to use each formula)

so now u should just be doing questions - exam questions, nto textbook questions

if u want to have given urself teh best chance dont walk into the exam room without having completed AT LEAST the past 3 years of HSC's, and MARKED THEm (never do a paper without answers, and preferably full solutions)

thats for guys who started studying seriously this week

if uve stated before and are goin in the exam with 10-20 past papers under ur belt, and ur gettin 85+, u should be fine, maybe do a past paper 2nite and 1 2moz just to get in the mood for thursday

for everyone READ teh last 2-3 years of Examiners comments with teh actual HSC TEST in front of u, no doubt any triks/hints they identify u will pik up

and finally, Best of Luk, im sure ull do fine as long as u dont stress too much!!
remember: u cant do better than ur best, so if ur best is 80 anad u knwo it dont be put down by ppl who are aiming higher

Gud luk!

*Baby-K*

HSC
nugget01 said:
yeah the success one hsc general maths book helped me a fair bit. my teacher said i could get a band six, but i think i'll probs get a solid band 5. only thing i'm having a bit of a problem with is linear eg. in multiple choice they give you an equation and a choice of linear diagrams that you have to choose from to match it with.
I used to have problems with that too.
What you need to do is to see if the equation they give you has a positive or negative gradient which means if its positive it would go from bottom up or if its negative it would go from up to bottom if that makes sense? Then look at the y-intercept and find the diagram that has the gradient and y-intercept that match the equation

Edit: I've thought of an easier method- use the graphics function in your calculator. Type in the equation given in the question and press Graph- easy as and quick

Last edited:

Cabrera1990

HSC
good mthod of study???? just go ova past papers and that? i mean thats all i have time for!

*Baby-K*

HSC
Cabrera1990 said:
good mthod of study???? just go ova past papers and that? i mean thats all i have time for!
As previously said- go over the syllabus and do as many past questions/trials as you possibly can
If you don't know how to work with a graphics calculator- learn now, you will need it

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
*Baby-K* said:
As previously said- go over the syllabus and do as many past questions/trials as you possibly can
If you don't know how to work with a graphics calculator- learn now, you will need it

nah u dont need to know

*Baby-K*

HSC
MysticalElement said:
nah u dont need to know
If you want to do the exam the hard way- sure. But it's there for a reason, not just to lie there next to your pen and look pretty

nugget01

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
I used to have problems with that too.
What you need to do is to see if the equation they give you has a positive or negative gradient which means if its positive it would go from bottom up or if its negative it would go from up to bottom if that makes sense? Then look at the y-intercept and find the diagram that has the gradient and y-intercept that match the equation

Edit: I've thought of an easier method- use the graphics function in your calculator. Type in the equation given in the question and press Graph- easy as and quick
thanks heaps. That does make sense ;) . general isn't really hard, you just need to find a way to go about questions that suits you. ohh and btw, i don't think i have a graphics calculator? just a sharp advanced D.A.L...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)