Maths help please? (1 Viewer)

MiseryParade

HSC
If you ever are stuck on a D & R question, I suggest you quickly make a rough tiny sketch somewhere.

Doing this will allow you to see both the D & R quite clearly. Yes, time is wasted, but marks are not wasted.
Discontinuity refers to where there are no x-values for a function. So a 0 in the denominator for hyperbolas (which cause the asymptotes to appear) results in discontinuity, Piece-meal functions, A semi-inverse parabola (y= sqrt x) where the x inside the square root cannot be negative etc.

Thanks guys. (piece-meal functions wut) I'm starting to think I'm going to fail the functions part of my exam.... Horizontal + oblique asymptotes aren't part of 2U, right?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys. (piece-meal functions wut) I'm starting to think I'm going to fail the functions part of my exam.... Horizontal + oblique asymptotes aren't part of 2U, right?
Horizontal are, Oblique aren't.

Piece meal functions are: discontin.GIF

And if you're ever confused (and have time in an exam) regarding the shape of a graph, find the y-intercept, substitute points on either side of the x-intercepts and between the x-intercepts (similar to Critical Points method), and draw the curve quickly so have an idea as to the Domain, Range as well as x-intercepts, y-intercept, Discontinuity/ies, Asymptotes.

Last edited:

theind1996

HSC
N/A
This.

In simple terms, continuous - you never need to lift your pen off the page to draw it (e.g. parabola)
discontinuous - you need to lift your pen off the page due to stuff like asymptotes. (e.g. hyperbola)

lul :)
HAHA yea, I never thought of that, although that's not always applicable, (e.g y = sqrt x).

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Oblique rarely appears. I don't think it should appear at all.
H.A and V.A should be both in 2U and 3U.

bleakarcher

HSC
So does largest possible domain refer to the set of all positive x or wut?

lol, i dont even know

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)