maths help pls (1 Viewer)

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
the line y=mx is a tangent to the curve y=e^(3x). find m

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
the answer is apparently 3e. i would usually think to do the same thing but considering its a question 10 in trial hsc i think there is somewhere where we are going wrong

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
the answer is apparently 3e. i would usually think to do the same thing but considering its a question 10 in trial hsc i think there is somewhere where we are going wrong
3e can't be right, because that's a constant gradient, and hence that would mean is a linear function, which we know it's not.

HSC
N/A
To be a tangent it must have a common point and the same gradient at that point

So

mx = e^(3x) ---- eqn 1 (Equating y values)

m= 3e^(3x) --- eqn 2 (Equating gradients)

Divide eqn 2 by eqn 1 (note we can do this as e^(3x) is never zero)

m/(mx) = [3e^(3x) /e^(3x) ]

1/x = 3

x=1/3

Now sub back into eqn 2

m= 3e^( 3*(1/3))

m=3e

Last edited:

nightweaver066

HSC
3e can't be right, because that's a constant gradient, and hence that would mean is a linear function, which we know it's not.
It doesn't mean that e^3x has to be a linear function.. The line is just a tangent and 3e is correct.

scarvesss

howdy doo
HSC
holy shit fortune_cookie* you killed it. never would have thought to do that. and im glad others didnt as well

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
m = 3e is correct.

If you think of it: y = e3x is y = (e3)x is just anothe exponential function roughly y = 20.0855x

Its graph looks like the typical one for, say, y = 2x crossing the y-axis at 1. y = mx is just a straight line thru the origin. Only one such straight line (i.e. for only one value of m) can touch the graph of y = e^3x and that occurs at where x = 1/3 for m = 3e as ably worked out by Mr fortune-cookie.

Edit

Some of you more able than I can show the graphs of the exponential function and the tangent line y = mx.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)