Maths in Commerce degree... please elaborate... (1 Viewer)

Quintin

HSC
Hi if i didnt do maths in my hsc (but did quite well before) will the USYD commerce program be bearable (with a management major - personally i am more concerned about the core units) I like commerce and law (hence my combining them) but i am just worried about the maths content. I know the UWS one does not have much maths in it, but it does also not have sydney's reputation (i kno unsw has the best in biz but i have decided against UNSW because the maths seems much harder and it is further from my locale)...

What bridging course is best to help bring me upto speed? And also has anyone who has done it know if it does bring you upto speed? The USYD one does not seem focused on the commerce degree as the UTS one seems to be more specific.

Anyway all help is appreciated

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
only maths u need is ecmt, which has nothing to do with hsc math any way

Lainee

HSC
Quintin said:
Hi if i didnt do maths in my hsc (but did quite well before) will the USYD commerce program be bearable (with a management major - personally i am more concerned about the core units) I like commerce and law (hence my combining them) but i am just worried about the maths content. I know the UWS one does not have much maths in it, but it does also not have sydney's reputation (i kno unsw has the best in biz but i have decided against UNSW because the maths seems much harder and it is further from my locale)...

What bridging course is best to help bring me upto speed? And also has anyone who has done it know if it does bring you upto speed? The USYD one does not seem focused on the commerce degree as the UTS one seems to be more specific.

Anyway all help is appreciated
Most commerce subjects require rudimentary maths (basic algebra, applying formulas etc.), so you'll have to face some maths regardless of which uni you're thinking of applying to. What makes you think that the maths at UNSW seems harder? If you've decided that UNSW is 'best in biz' you might want to look into that further, because I doubt it's any different to other uni's commerce degrees.

I'm not sure what you mean by USYD not focusing on the commerce degree. The only core unit that involves significant maths skill is Econometrics (ECMT1010), and note that I said maths 'skill' not maths 'knowledge'. Nothing other than knowledge of algebra is assumed, and it was mostly to do with manipulating and using the formulas that are taught. I remember there being a few formulas that were derived through calculus, but that was a proof that was just for interest's sake and was not examinable.

It's not maths intensive, but it does involve Year10-11 maths. Don't be scared of it! I haven't done any bridging courses, but from what I've heard it's fairly intensive. Maybe you can find someone with notes you can scab off. You can find out more about USYD's bridging courses here: http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/BC/

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
agreed... a 4u student can easily fail metrics if he/she doesn't work hard, whereas a general student can easily top it if they study hard

A

adamsaclown

Lainee said:
I'm not sure what you mean by USYD not focusing on the commerce degree.
I think he meant the Usyd maths bridging course is not focused on the commerce degree... which I agree, I thought mostly Science people did it (the bridging course)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
xiao1985 said:
only maths u need is ecmt, which has nothing to do with hsc math any way
what about finance? that's a new core.
ECMT is difficult maths. I didnt do maths in yr 11/12 but got a credit. however it required hours and hours of study.

Quintin

HSC
Yes i meant that the bridging degree in USYD is not focused on commerce, rather it is generalist...

Anyway thanks for the comment i think i will give it a tackle...

now i just have to wait for the offers to come out...

cheers guys and many thanks

reefpunker

HSC
Hey,
So is what your saying even though Accounting 1A and Intro. Micro and Macro Economics say HSC Mathematics is assumed knowledge, its not really?
Is there any content in these subjects that you need to know the hsc 2 unit course for?
any reply is greatly appreciated

stazi

Nightman
HSC
whilst people are saying maths isnt required, it will make it much easier. it's easy for them to forget how difficult dealing with any sorts of numbers is for us non-maths-minded people. however, if you persist and study a lot you will do well

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
reefpunker said:
Hey,
So is what your saying even though Accounting 1A and Intro. Micro and Macro Economics say HSC Mathematics is assumed knowledge, its not really?
Is there any content in these subjects that you need to know the hsc 2 unit course for?
any reply is greatly appreciated
I was just flipping through the micro textbooks in the co-op today and there were a few differentiated graphs.

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
I also was reading through some of the pre-req's for Finance courses (only availiable in the senior years) and found: Calculus, regression, probability theory, random distributions.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yes, fiance majors, esp modelling requires alot of hardcore maths...

and eco, for crying out loud, if u do honour stream needs hardcore maths, because u are expected to do some hardcore analysis modelling shit...

metrics major needs maths too....

but 4u dont' study stat, so everyone's almost at same ground... calculus i believe 2u study as well... u need to know how to differentiate, but that's it, most others will be taught...

so everyone's at similar ground

deeznuts

HSC
if we can do all these quizes with relatively no trouble, will we be fine, just for the first year?

http://quiz.econ.usyd.edu.au/mathquiz/

im guessing if someone wants to major in finance/econometrics(maybe acctng)

then there will be more assumed knowldege areas, then just those in the quiz test ?^

thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)