Maths in comp science? (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
Sure but it's about the demand for labour too. I was always under the preconception that there's less demand for comp field than commerce field (haven't researched but I'm assuming that's the case)
no. every 2nd uni student is doing commerce thesedays. It's basically a go to degree for the most part when students don't know what they want to study at uni.
Also higher atar =/= jobs

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
I may be a bit biased since I study and CS and maths, but you shouldn't let your current math skills deter you from pursuing computer science. Also, it may be possible that you will enjoy maths later on and the current way it is taught in high school just doesn't work for you.
Although it is useful to have done 4U for first year maths, it's not necessary (but without 3U most would struggle).
For UNSW computer science, there are three compulsory maths courses in first year - see http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2013/3978.html. They are challenging and build on your previous skills, but it is definitely doable as long as you work hard at 3U. I know people who have gotten through these courses even without 3U (though it takes more work).
The rest of computer science, there will be less of the calculus-based topics - the more relevant 3U topics are: algebra, probability, polynomials, binomial theorem, permutations, combinations, series and applications. They won't always be used directly, but the concepts are important to understand. So depending on which topics you are best at, this may work better for you.

The reddit threads that Flop21 posted are pretty good.

In reply to the commerce thing, from anecdotal experiences commerce is much more saturated with graduates vs. the level of demand, compared to comp sci graduates. Some quick stats from Good Universities Guide seems to confirm this:

http://www.gooduniversitiesguide.co.../(Qualifications)/M/(Course)/computer science

http://www.gooduniversitiesguide.co...s-School/(Qualifications)/M/(Course)/commerce

Anyway you can always transfer if it doesn't work out, I highly recommend giving comp sci a shot :) (But work hard at your maths.)

Ikki

HSC
For comp sci first year maths (@unsw):
2u = Lots of work to catchup and understand
3u = will get DN from not doing much, HD if u try
4u = Skip all lectures, cram near end, still end up with HD

That's assuming u take normal level of math. If u take higher math then bring it down a notch, I.e 4u = easy DN if u cram near the end HD if u try. (Don't take higher math, save yourself...)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

That's assuming u take normal level of math. If u take higher math then bring it down a notch, I.e 4u = easy DN if u cram near the end HD if u try. (Don't take higher math, save yourself...)
wat

not sure if srs

Flop21

HSC

What topics of 3u do I need to learn (I did 2u)?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I may be a bit biased since I study and CS and maths, but you shouldn't let your current math skills deter you from pursuing computer science. Also, it may be possible that you will enjoy maths later on and the current way it is taught in high school just doesn't work for you.
Although it is useful to have done 4U for first year maths, it's not necessary (but without 3U most would struggle).
For UNSW computer science, there are three compulsory maths courses in first year - see http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2013/3978.html. They are challenging and build on your previous skills, but it is definitely doable as long as you work hard at 3U. I know people who have gotten through these courses even without 3U (though it takes more work).
The rest of computer science, there will be less of the calculus-based topics - the more relevant 3U topics are: algebra, probability, polynomials, binomial theorem, permutations, combinations, series and applications. They won't always be used directly, but the concepts are important to understand. So depending on which topics you are best at, this may work better for you.

The reddit threads that Flop21 posted are pretty good.

In reply to the commerce thing, from anecdotal experiences commerce is much more saturated with graduates vs. the level of demand, compared to comp sci graduates. Some quick stats from Good Universities Guide seems to confirm this:

http://www.gooduniversitiesguide.co.../(Qualifications)/M/(Course)/computer science

http://www.gooduniversitiesguide.co...s-School/(Qualifications)/M/(Course)/commerce

Anyway you can always transfer if it doesn't work out, I highly recommend giving comp sci a shot :) (But work hard at your maths.)
What topics of 3u do I need to learn (I did 2u)?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yes thanks, but I already saw that.

Was double checking what topics since to take one person's word for it over the internet would be silly.
Those topics are important for computer science.

Flop21

HSC
Those topics are important for computer science.
So for a 2u math person wanting to go into computer science, they need to catch up on the following 3u topics:

algebra
probability
polynomials
binomial theorem
permutations
combinations
series and applications

Okay great, if anyone wants to add anything to this list just say.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
So for a 2u math person wanting to go into computer science, they need to catch up on the following 3u topics:

algebra
probability
polynomials
binomial theorem
permutations
combinations
series and applications

Most of the important mathematical areas for computer science are from discrete mathematics (if you know what that is). Here's a textbook / notes written by two Princeton academics called Mathematics for Computer Science: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spr10/cos433/mathcs.pdf

If you take a look at the topics in the contents, you'll see it's mostly discrete maths / logic topics (things like proof, recurrences, counting, graph theory, etc.).

This is why the HSC 3U topics suggested by pwoh as relevant were the ones they were (mostly discrete maths things (there isn't as much discrete maths in the 3U course as what is covered in that Princeton TB/notes I linked)).

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
Lol you ask the same question that you've already asked and been answered before
And I've already responded to this statement, "was double checking". I also don't recall asking this question before.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

algebra
probability
polynomials
binomial theorem
permutations
combinations
series and applications

Here's a playlist of videos from MIT OpenCourseWare which is from a course called Mathematics for Computer Science: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3LMbpZIKhQ&list=PLB7540DEDD482705B

Flop21

HSC
Oh you guys are right :D Awesome. I think it'll be good to get all the math out the way 1st year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)