maths in first year engineering? (1 Viewer)

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
How hard is it? And do you think I'll be okay with 3 unit maths knowledge? Or is it helpful to have 4u knowledge?

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
How hard is it? And do you think I'll be okay with 3 unit maths knowledge? Or is it helpful to have 4u knowledge?
I just had a look at the MATH units which are required for the engineering degrees at USYD and they seem to be the same ones I did in my first year so I can speak from experience. Those units cover an array of topics similar to Extension 2 Maths so if you do choose go down that path, you should be well-prepared for first year. Personally, I did Extension 1 Maths, and I wasn't really good at it but I still got marks of 60+ for all my first year MATH units so as long as you apply yourself during university, you will do fine. It's only important that you know that Extension 1 Maths is presumed knowledge.

funnytomato

HSC
depends on which branch of engineering you're interested in
most of them rely heavily on maths, a friend of mine who got a band 6 in 4u still finds the maths in engineering difficult
but i guess it's up to the individual and the amount of effort you put into your study

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
I just had a look at the MATH units which are required for the engineering degrees at USYD and they seem to be the same ones I did in my first year so I can speak from experience. Those units cover an array of topics similar to Extension 2 Maths so if you do choose go down that path, you should be well-prepared for first year. Personally, I did Extension 1 Maths, and I wasn't really good at it but I still got marks of 60+ for all my first year MATH units so as long as you apply yourself during university, you will do fine. It's only important that you know that Extension 1 Maths is presumed knowledge.
okay thanks!

depends on which branch of engineering you're interested in
most of them rely heavily on maths, a friend of mine who got a band 6 in 4u still finds the maths in engineering difficult
but i guess it's up to the individual and the amount of effort you put into your study
And thinking about chem eng or materials science and eng in new south.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You will be fine with 3 unit but doing 4 unit is a big help. Topics are stuff like Complex numbers, vectors, matrices, probability, limits, calculus and other stuff. Also in UNSW all engineers do the same maths in first year.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
not too bad

the maths in engineering subjects is harder than in the maths subjects!

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
You will be fine with 3 unit but doing 4 unit is a big help. Topics are stuff like Complex numbers, vectors, matrices, probability, limits, calculus and other stuff. Also in UNSW all engineers do the same maths in first year.
oh okay. But it should be simple to pick up during first year right? If I work hard at it and be consistent and all.

twistedrebel

HSC
yeah i done 3u and i was fine for maths and i did not go lectures/do hw. only cram for final and i passed. 3u is fine, even 2u is fine if your willing to put effort.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yeah, for unsw the course pack is really good imo for math 1a/1b. easy to learn from and practise.

KGZ9

HSC
How difficult would it be for a 2U math student? Cause I'm looking to study either civil or mechanical engineering at UNSW/USYD/UTS and I'm not sure if I would be able to cope with the math.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
What are your marks like in 2U? If you're not aiming for band 5 or better then honestly it's gonna be a bit of a struggle. But if you're in year 11/12 you've still got heaps of time to put your head down. At the end of the day you only need 50s to get a degree and computers do all the maths on the job, lol

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
lol you should self promote more douche

engineering maths gets way harder after first year, I don't know why you think you'll suddenly be smarter/more mature after the first two maths courses.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Engineering mathematics is very hard, very time consuming and very fast-paced, even first year.

Just keep in mind, it will be your first year at uni and you will probably become very good friends with the unibar and spend way to much time with that very good friend.

But, don't be complacent. Understanding stuff in the first year is essential to your success in your later years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)