Maths In Focus Ext 1/2 (1 Viewer)

Jojofelyx

HSC
Thoughts on the Ext 1/2 MIF book, especially the way it covers complex numbers?

YonOra

HSC
Easy to understand, mostly bcs their theory is shit. So i suppose it has it's place.

Go with Cambridge.

Jojofelyx

HSC
I read that some people/teachers reckon that MIF is good for foundational understanding, or is Cambridge just better in that too and also gives exposure to harder questions?

Jojofelyx

HSC
Why does Margaret Grove write a whole textbook that's easy though? Or doesn't give precautions that it's really simple... go and use another book in tandem etc.
Thats what confuses me too

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
No need to be confused. Maths in Focus is more palatable to those who are weaker in maths. Does not delve deeper into the subject matter. Maybe that's why it is still adopted by many lower performing schools; for such schools textbooks like Cambridge would be beyond their students. Don't want them to feel discouraged.

Last edited:

Jojofelyx

HSC
No need to be confused. Maths in Focus is more palatable to those who are weaker in maths. Does not delve deeper into the subject matter. Maybe that's why it is still adopted by many lower performing schools; for such schools textbooks like Cambridge would be beyond their students. Don't want them to be discouraged.
But from doing the Cambridge book, it also contains 'easy' questions which build up a foundation, whats the purpose of MIF existing then lol. Honestly tho, there should be a book which just teaches you how to answer all hsc type questions, that'd be truly a godsend

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Yes: Cambridge questions are structured - basic, intermediate and then challenging. In my view, always do the basics first. Make sure you get the main concepts. Then do harder ones to test your understanding on how to apply them. Then, when you are OK with that, do the more challenging ones. After that do past year questions and questions from other sources, if you still have the time. You first learn to crawl, then to walk before you can finally run. Maybe educationist call this "scaffolding", or have I misunderstood this concept?

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
But from doing the Cambridge book, it also contains 'easy' questions which build up a foundation, whats the purpose of MIF existing then lol. Honestly tho, there should be a book which just teaches you how to answer all hsc type questions, that'd be truly a godsend
no. you would literally get destroyed in some school trials if you just learn how to answer hsc type-levelish q's.

Jojofelyx

HSC
no. you would literally get destroyed in some school trials if you just learn how to answer hsc type-levelish q's.
itd be a godsend for anyone who doesn't attend top 20 schools * lol,

YonOra

HSC
there should be a book which just teaches you how to answer all hsc type questions, that'd be truly a godsend
That's called "Past HSC papers" and you can use the marking scheme to see how to approach the Q.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
itd be a godsend for anyone who doesn't attend top 20 schools * lol,
Why are you looking for a godsend? No such thing. Better don't waste your time and start putting in some serious work on your extension maths. Get some other textbooks and start reading up yourself. Doesn't matter if at first you understand only 21.7%; still better than 0%.

Last edited:

Everwinter

HSC
No need to be confused. Maths in Focus is more palatable to those who are weaker in maths. Does not delve deeper into the subject matter. Maybe that's why it is still adopted by many lower-performing schools; for such schools, textbooks like Cambridge would be beyond their students. Don't want them to feel discouraged.
fair point for adv maths or even ext 1, but ext 2 students are supposed to be a top performant student even in lower-performing schools, so I think ext 2 MiF is literally useless when it compares to Cambridge. But I do think this contributes to the reason why MiF is used

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)