Maths in Focus (1 Viewer)

What is your opinion of the Maths in Focus textbook series?

• I love it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's okay, I don't mind it.

• I don't like it.

• The series is a joke.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YashC3

HSC
Our school uses Maths in Focus aswell. For some topics its quite good, but not for all them. In my opinion, use maths in focus for school and for hw, but at home u can use fitzpatrick or cambridge at home for extra study + revision.

mioumiou

HSC
Our school uses Maths in Focus aswell. For some topics its quite good, but not for all them. In my opinion, use maths in focus for school and for hw, but at home u can use fitzpatrick or cambridge at home for extra study + revision.
+1
I think that's what most people does when the school give them MIF. Good luck with you're studies! :D

ilikebeeef

HSC
I would like to rank first in the 2011 HSC mathematics cohort. I know that this is probably unrealistic. My goal for Year 11 is to rank in the top ten.
I know the guy who came first in 2 unit maths in 2009. He was in Year 11 (same grade as me). He comes first in pretty much everything in his school, though.

I'm sorry. My school's principal and my mum have questioned why I do hospitality. Now I'm quick to defend it.
K.

I can do maths at home and enjoy it alone, but how often do HSC MX1 students get the chance to walk around the kitchen cooking together? Lol.
Haha, I haven't heard of that happening much. It is possible though.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Tricks?

Like I used to, for trigonometric equations do silly things like divide the entire thing by a function of x like sin x. However, from doing 3u, I now know never to divide by a function of 'x', and always factorise.

Then whenever they chuck some geometry that happens to be in a circle - I go straight to the circle geometry stuff.

Things like that.

Anyway, back to the OP, my school for 2u uses it - I race through it, it's decent, I'm not in love with it - it's just decent. Funny because we complained about the Jones and Couchman, but it seems this book is worse...

At least J+C had somewhat harder questions. But for 3u and 4u, my teacher swears by Fitzpatrick. Cambridge is nice for me, but he says "Oh that textbook is just ridiculous..."

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I do mathematics and personally i find this book hard to explain the harder concepts of harder questions. There are insufficient examples to support harder questions...like margaret couldn't be bothered to put more examples in. the examples only explain easier type qs.

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
Good for explanations, but cannot be used as a primary textbook.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
anyone who uses maths in focus only for preparation will not get a band 6*

*unless they are complete freaks, which equates to about 0.01% of the population

random-1006

Banned
HSC
anyone who uses maths in focus only for preparation will not get a band 6*

*unless they are complete freaks, which equates to about 0.01% of the population

my school used maths in focus for the main textbook, i did borrow a copy of the 3 unit jones and couchman book to do extra questions at home, then used the "100 mini hscs 2 unit and 3 unit books, and then like 50 or so past trials and like all the 2 unit and 3 unit hscs from 1990-2008

jasonn

HSC
my school used maths in focus for the main textbook, i did borrow a copy of the 3 unit jones and couchman book to do extra questions at home, then used the "100 mini hscs 2 unit and 3 unit books, and then like 50 or so past trials and like all the 2 unit and 3 unit hscs from 1990-2008
wow if you had done better in english, your atar would of skyrocketed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)