Maths programming (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
If you're doing programming, and have no background in it, I'd suggest picking up a "for Dummies" book in whatever comp. language, after the HSC exams, and just getting a background in that. That would push you ahead in front of the other students with no history in programming.

Would have helped so much to read this prior to the semester starting

Ben1220

HSC
I started Uni with barely any experience in programming, some experience in programming our calculators in year 10, but apart from that, nothing.

There will definently be introductionary programming classes for people who haven't programmed before at any uni. At Melbourne uni, Informatics 1 and 2 are the prerequisites for all other programming/it courses, and they assume no knowledge at all. By the end of the semester, people who have passed Informatics 1 can safely claim to have an intermediate skill level in programming. Its really not that hard if you apply yourself like you would to any other subject.

Joel8945

HSC
I'm looking at doing a Bachelor of Commerce + Bachelor of Maths/Computer Sciences when I go to uni next year.

I'm doing well in all aspects of calculus, statistics and economics and the cut I'll get without trying.

The thing is the computer programming part of the maths course, since most quantative jobs require extensive use of spreedsheets and such I have figured I might aswell do a double degree in maths rather then a minor in my last year of commerce.

Is Maths programming (java?) hard for those who have no programming backgrounds?
I'm probably going to major in a maths, physics or engineering area and all require you to do some form of computer programming! Now I never have done computer programming until this year and it is a challenge! At school I loved my calculus and physics and in calculus classes this year I have applied calculus to physics and engineering problems and the concepts behind developing my calculus and physics and engineering knowledge hasn't been too bad, but, applying computer programs to this can be difficult! Really whatever science or commerce field you choose, you will use computer programming extensively as the maths you do starts getting too complicated to do manually!

Ben1220

HSC
I'm probably going to major in a maths, physics or engineering area and all require you to do some form of computer programming! Now I never have done computer programming until this year and it is a challenge! At school I loved my calculus and physics and in calculus classes this year I have applied calculus to physics and engineering problems and the concepts behind developing my calculus and physics and engineering knowledge hasn't been too bad, but, applying computer programs to this can be difficult! Really whatever science or commerce field you choose, you will use computer programming extensively as the maths you do starts getting too complicated to do manually!
You should have done informatics if you are finding programming hard :p I suppose you need first year maths, physics and engineering for an engineering major though... So much for choice lol.

Affinity

HSC
Your programming will get better once you stop worrying about programming languages

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Your programming will get better once you stop worrying about programming languages
This. If you're double majoring in maths and computer science the latter will be taught in a variety of languages in your first couple of years, but by third year most courses will be in concepts rather than syntax and which language you use for assignments is entirely up to you.

Ben1220

HSC
This. If you're double majoring in maths and computer science the latter will be taught in a variety of languages in your first couple of years, but by third year most courses will be in concepts rather than syntax and which language you use for assignments is entirely up to you.

or even psuedocode

But you're right, basic and intermediate programming skills are taught only in the first year or so, after that (assuming you are doing computer science) any programming you do will be applying computer science concepts, such as theory of computation or algorithms and data structures(trees, heaps graphs searching and sorting ect) or artificial intelligence, multimedia/information theory ect. Of course there are some advanced programming courses in later years, but these are not essential, they are just the icing on the cake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)