Maths Question (1 Viewer)

P

pLuvia

For convenience let the angle sign be "^"
In triangle ABC
^ECB = 20*
^FAB = 30*
^BDC = 50+20 = 70* (sum of remote interior angles)
^CED = 70*
^FEB = 110*
.: ^EFC = 130*
^CEF = 180 - (^ECB + ^EFC)
= 180 - (20 + 110)
= 50*

Last edited by a moderator:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
That solution by pLuvia is correct, i'll just add some explanations to help guide you through the answer:
^ECB = 20*
^FAB = 30* [since the base angles must add up to 160 in the isos triangle therefore each angle must add up to 80 as the base angles of an isos triangle are equal]
^BDC = 50+20 = 70* (angle sum of 2 interior angles = opposite exterior angle)
^CED = 70* (angle sum of triangle CED)
^FEB = 110* (supplementaries on straight line)
.: ^EFC = 130* (angle sum of triangle EFC)
^CEF = 180 - (^ECB + ^EFC)
= 180 - (20 + 110)
= 50*

I

icycloud

1. Sorry to spoil the party guys, but ^BDC does not equal 70, it is in fact 100.
2. It follows that ^CED is not 70, it is in fact 40.
3. However, the more fundamental error lies when leaving out ^CEF in saying "^CED and ^FEB are supplementary". That is, ^CED + ^FEB is not equal to 180, the correct equation is ^CED + ^CEF + ^FEB = 180.
4. Thus, the proof is wrong. (Unless I overlooked something really badly, or I somehow have a different diagram to everyone else's...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The big mistake that pLuvia and i made was we forgot to include ^BAF.
So i guess the rest you can follow but the numbers are all wrong because of the follow on errors that are caused by a mistake at the start.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
You know whats hilarious Michael?

The fact that you made the subject of thsi thread 'maths question'.

Now being in a mathematics forum, I dont think many people were actually expecting anything mathematics related, but hey, SHAZAM! Maths Question. MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmaths. It is also, ingeniously, a question. I want't quite expecting a thesis on Mathematics Extension 1. More interesting is the fact that isis something we had not learnt or did we need to learn for teh test this morning [which I'm hopeful of a 58 for. Fucking height of tower.] Rant finished.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)