Maths Raw Marks (1 Viewer)

qawe

HSC
N/A
Yep.. 4 questions, 15 marks each + 10 MC questions.

I suppose you could change the numbers such that they're out of 70? Don't know how accurate they would be though.
u cant do that. it's a whole new test.

D94

HSC
N/A
and I thought 2/3 unit maths would be the subjects I don't get a band 6 in...
Mind you that there are no half marks, there is a set criteria for marking and schools set assessments which usually are of different levels of difficulty to the HSC, so 80% at school may be a Band 6 in the HSC, or could be a Band 4 level of effort.

brettymaccc

HSC
Raw marks are impossible to predict, even with comparable data like the table already posted.

Especially with the new exam format, including some multiple choice... anything is possible.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It would depend on the difficulty of the exam to determine the cut-off. I expect the percentage cut-off to be the same (roughly).

Currybear

HSC
If i get a an E4 in my external exam, will i get an E4 overall?

cause my rank is shit.... but im getting high 70's mid 80's in the HSC papers under exam conditions

D94

HSC
N/A
If i get a an E4 in my external exam, will i get an E4 overall?

cause my rank is shit.... but im getting high 70's mid 80's in the HSC papers under exam conditions
No.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Hey I seriously don't get this. Does the scaling depend on the exam difficulty? Or does 3U scale pretty well... 50/70 is just about 70%, HOW CAN THAT get you a band 6??? :(

Help!
Because a minority of the state gets above around there, it might sound hard to believe but a lot of schools give easy exams and give a wrong impression on the real difficulty of the HSC. (Although you may just be smart and be acing it)

Of course the alignment in terms of raw starts to hit a bit incline at around 63+/70, where you need a huge difference in marks just to get a few HSC marks difference.

Also many people find it attractive to do the subject because of the insane scaling and alignment and as such more mathematically inept people do it and hence less percentage of the state gets good.

Last edited:

Currybear

HSC
what do you think the cutoff will be now that the tests have been taken?

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
Generally the more people doing it, the higher the Band 6 cut-off due to increased competition.
that is completely wrong.
hardly any people do engineering studies and yet the cut offs are disastrously high.
lots of people do chemistry but the cut off is way lower

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
that is completely wrong.
hardly any people do engineering studies and yet the cut offs are disastrously high.
lots of people do chemistry but the cut off is way lower
You are comparing two totally different subjects. Of course by doing that, the statement is 'completely wrong'.

It was aimed to compare the same subject.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Raw marks are impossible to predict, even with comparable data like the table already posted.

Especially with the new exam format, including some multiple choice... anything is possible.
You are right but I still believe that you can at least give an indication. Personally, I'd say around 50/70 should get you E4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)