Maths SSP (2 Viewers)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hey,
I kinda fucked up my HSC Maths exams (well, relatively) and ended up with only 92 for ext 2 and 96 for ext 1. Now here's my problem: I absolutely love maths and would kill to get into the SSP next year, but I'm not liking my chances with results such as these, even when combined with a UAI of 98.10. Can someone give me an idea as to what my chances are of being accepted, like what was the lowest accepted this year?
Thanks a lot,
-Justin

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
math ssp is limited by number of applicants and the level of acheivements...
pm'd u abt wut i think, but here's abit extra every one can see:

they look at ur uai first (i am pretty sure) then ur mark, unless u TRULY did exceptionally well...

they weigh alot extra curriculum math achievements. so if u did olymiad, dont' be shy tellin them...

1 sem drop out rate is huge... mainly due to pplz get lazy and cbb turnin up to special lectures/ tutorials. so even if u dun get in first sem, apply 2nd sem... there will be official notice abt how to apply in teh first wk of uni...

oh yeh to apply, enrol in math1901 first and there will announcment in teh first /2nd wk...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
xiao1985 said:
math ssp is limited by number of applicants and the level of acheivements...
pm'd u abt wut i think, but here's abit extra every one can see:

they look at ur uai first (i am pretty sure) then ur mark, unless u TRULY did exceptionally well...

they weigh alot extra curriculum math achievements. so if u did olymiad, dont' be shy tellin them...

1 sem drop out rate is huge... mainly due to pplz get lazy and cbb turnin up to special lectures/ tutorials. so even if u dun get in first sem, apply 2nd sem... there will be official notice abt how to apply in teh first wk of uni...

oh yeh to apply, enrol in math1901 first and there will announcment in teh first /2nd wk...
OK thanks a lot for that xiao:)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
KeypadSDM said:
It's worth it as well.
You almost automatically get an extra 3 marks in a 3 cp subject for not really that much work.
lolz agreed full on...

my biggest acheivement in sem2: gettin the extra 3 marks in integral so that i kicked enoch by 1 mark ^^

feelin ultra... =)
btw from that respect maths ssp is actually better than chem ssp, which gives u no toppin of marks at all... just some serzly harder lab session...

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
withoutaface said:
Hey,
I kinda fucked up my HSC Maths exams (well, relatively) and ended up with only 92 for ext 2 and 96 for ext 1. Now here's my problem: I absolutely love maths and would kill to get into the SSP next year, but I'm not liking my chances with results such as these, even when combined with a UAI of 98.10. Can someone give me an idea as to what my chances are of being accepted, like what was the lowest accepted this year?
Thanks a lot,
-Justin
I think the general rule was 98 UAI and 95+ in 4u maths. However it is strictly based on quota (about 30 I think). During the first week of uni you attend this info session and fill out an application form writing down your HSC results and various other things. Then the SSP coordinator will short list the 30 or so ppl. Talk to him to show your initiative. Even if you don't make it in sem1, getting 90+ average in sem1 maths will give you a place for sem2. I think it award up to 5 bonus marks depending on how you go in your SSP work and normal coursework.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
super pig: tis 3, not 5...

so theoretically, u can get 103 =p

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
xiao1985 said:
super pig: tis 3, not 5...

so theoretically, u can get 103 =p

It was 5 last year, not sure about this year. It also depends on what you get in the regular lecture course. If you got in the 80s or lower, you would probably get the full bonus marks (either 5 or 3). But once you move into the 90s, your bonus mark would decrease. If you got 96+ I don't think you would get any extra mark at all. This is what I found out from the SSP coordinator.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
wtf is a maths ssp

i did so shit in my maths exams its not funny

ext 2 - 84

ext 1 - 93

but ended up uai 98.70 so must be philosophy or my flukey english mark (90)

lol

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
hm frankly i doubt u will get in unless u ahve some extra participation in soem maths stuff...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
How much is some?
I think Olympiad should come in handy. Not sure if they'll recognise the UNSW Maths Comp though.

SeDaTeD

HSC
I did the Aus Olympiad in y11, nowhere near any international thing though.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
SeDaTeD said:
I did the Aus Olympiad in y11, nowhere near any international thing though.
put it in ani way... doesn't hurt...

i think ANY mathematical involvement is considered... but i mean even if u get a prize in AMC, that's still pretty low standard to them i believe.. unless u get a medal... or straight prize...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
xiao1985 said:
i think ANY mathematical involvement is considered... but i mean even if u get a prize in AMC, that's still pretty low standard to them i believe.. unless u get a medal... or straight prize...
Well, it is an open event and 0.3% of the contestants do get prizes, which is a fairly large amount of people.

AMO is good. Invitational of only ~100.

SeDaTeD

HSC
I got one medal, and almost six straight prizes, darn HD in y11. What do you mean by put it in? Are there forms or something which they give out?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Haha the highest thing I've got in any of those comps is a HD in AMC:S

Looks like I'm gonna have to rely on the fact that I'm doing a maths degree as an extra thing just for fun and that I've been looking over some uni stuff in the holidays to prove my commitment to maths:p

SeDaTeD

HSC
You seem pretty committed to maths. Best of luck Withoutaface.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
SeDaTeD said:
I got one medal, and almost six straight prizes, darn HD in y11. What do you mean by put it in? Are there forms or something which they give out?
when u apply for math ssp, they will give u a form to fill out... it has stuff like "relevant acheivements" and "in a few words, why do you want to do math ssp"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)