Maths Subjects (1 Viewer)

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Anyone have any advice on what 3rd year Maths subjects to choose for the purpose of usefulness in Theoretical Physics?

I've chosen:

1st sem:
MATH3974 - Fluid Dynamics

2nd sem:
MATH3964 - Complex Analysis with Applications
MATH3968 - Differential Geometry

and Physics subjects:

1st sem:
PHYS3940 - Electromagnetism & Physics Lab
PHYS3955 - Nanoscience/Plasma Physics/Thermodynamics

2nd sem:
PHYS3960 - Quantum Mechanics & Physics Lab
PHYS3980 - Optics/Cond. Matter/High Energy Physics

...The only other maths subjects in 1st sem that I think I like are:
MATH3961 - Metric Spaces (Advanced)
MATH3962 - Rings Fields and Galois Theory (Advanced)

which one to choose? change any of those already chosen?

I was thinking of doing both my Physics options in first sem and taking abother maths in 2nd sem, but can't be bothered with 3 labs.

[damn uni for putting most of the good maths subjects in second sem]

SeDaTeD

HSC
Well, I'm going to do both of those but I wouldn't know what would be better for theoretical physics. My guess is metric spaces.

From Senior Maths handbook:

To complement Physics and Chemistry, students may wish to consider:
Semester 1. Metric Spaces (MATH3961), Analysis (MATH3068), Rings, Fields & Galois Theory (MATH3962), Differential Equations & Biomathematics (MATH3063/3963), Logic & Foundations (MATH3065), Fluid Dynamics (MATH3974), Mathematical Computing (MATH3076/3976).
Semester 2. Measure Theory and Fourier Analysis (MATH3969), Modules and Group Representations (MATH3966), Partial Differential Equations and Waves (MATH3078/3978), Differential Geometry (MATH3968), Information & Coding Theory (MATH3067), Financial Mathematics (MATH3075/3975), Lagrangian & Hamiltonian Dynamics (MATH3977), Complex Analysis with Applications (MATH3964), Geometry & Topology (MATH3061).

If it was up to me, I'd overload and do both haha.

Actually I think Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Dynamics is very related to physics.

Last edited:

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Thanks Robert.

I hadn't considered overloading....hmmm

yeah Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Dynamics is very useful, but I'm planning to learn it by myself. Might do that for Galois Theory as well. Just show up to lectures and not worry about doing assignments on time :)

btw they also have recomendations on Physics website (if anyone else needs it!!):
"Senior Mathematics: If you are planning to take Physics Honours, some recommended Senior Mathematics units are: MATH3964 Complex Analysis with Applications (Advanced); MATH3974 Fluid Dynamics (Advanced); MATH3076/3976 Mathematical Computing; MATH3078/3978 Partial Differential Equations and Waves; MATH3977 Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Dynamics (Advanced); MATH3068 Analysis; MATH3968 Differential Geometry (Advanced); STAT3012/3912 Applied Linear Models; STAT3013/3913 Statistical Inference."
...as you can see, most are in second semester.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Fluid Dynamics is quite possibly the worst subject ever invented. I hated it with a passion. Hamiltonian & Lagrangian Dynamics is quite possibly the best subject evern invented. Nuff said.

Neither relate in any way to 3rd year physics at all.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Don't do Complex Analysis, it's taught like dogshit. Do Measure Theory and Fourier Analysis, it's actually interesting (you define Lebesgue integrals and apply them), and it's taught by Cartwright who I thought was great this semester.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Are the lecturers always the same? I was kinda hoping for Daners!!

I still haven't decided on what maths subjects to do. There are so many good ones in second sem.

@Keypad: In what sense Fluid Dynamic is bad?

damn. now I'm not sure what maths to do; since someone else said I can do Differential Geometry while studying General Relativity.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nah you get Chris Cosgrove and King Fai Lai. While King was ok in small doses, and I can see that for a lot of people he's a good lecturer, he didn't really do it for me, and Cosgrove's just plain not interesting. Add on to that the material is only like the stuff in 2962 for the first few weeks, then you start looking at Complex DEs and it becomes pretty bad.
Have a look into doing the info and coding theory course maybe? Also if you're gonna do 3 maths courses I say do 1 more, make sure 2 of them are at adv level, and get a second major in maths. :)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Fluid Dynamics was craparse because it was poorly taught and constructed. The lecturer's were OK, not fantastic, but the course itself seemed to lack the rigour you usually find with other courses. It seemed to lack real direction/content.

I dunno, I just hated it :D

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
I am planning to do 4 maths subjects; just not sure on what to choose exactly. I like pure maths, but applied seems more useful in the context of physics. Might just do pure and learn applied subjects by myself. Since applied maths is more like cooking recipe with minimal or no rigour, as Keypad said, it shouldn't be too hard to follow.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Fluids is sooooo boring. I took the unsw version this year. But then, you know how much I hate applied :)

Hey Mo!

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
hey V. Two votes against Fluid Dynamics. Two pure subjects it is for 1st sem then:)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I'm also facing a similar problem. I want to do applied/stat honours in financial maths and since I will probably be taking UNSW & USyd honours subjects, I was wondering which applied/pure mathematics subjects would provide the best background. So far, my list includes:

Applied:

- mathematical computing (did this already)
- PDEs
- optimisation

Pure:

- Complex Analysis (goes with PDEs)
- measure/probability theory (at UNSW, this subject does not assume any stuff from Analysis aka metric space theory)

(I have done all the useful stats courses already, ie, stochastic processes, linear models, stat inference)

Also, I am quite concerned about not having an Analysis background upon entering Honours. Is it essential to have done Analysis for
1) financial maths and,
2) honours subjects in general, if I have done measure/probability theory already?

Last edited:

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
I'm also facing a similar problem. I want to do applied/stat honours in financial maths and since I will probably be taking UNSW & USyd honours subjects, I was wondering which applied/pure mathematics subjects would provide the best background. So far, my list includes:

Applied:

- mathematical computing (did this already)
- PDEs
- optimisation

Pure:

- Complex Analysis (goes with PDEs)
- measure/probability theory (at UNSW, this subject does not assume any stuff from Analysis aka metric space theory)

(I have done all the useful stats courses already, ie, stochastic processes, linear models, stat inference)

Also, I am quite concerned about not having an Analysis background upon entering Honours. Is it essential to have done Analysis for
1) financial maths and,
2) honours subjects in general, if I have done measure/probability theory already?
So no one does Financial Maths here?

machiavel

HSC
Are the stats units worth doing for physics majors? I have to major in maths and it looks like I'll end up majoring in physics instead of COSC. I'm not planning to do research as a long-term career, so could I manage with MATH1904 instead of doing STAT2911/2912 (models & tests) etc etc?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
stat doesn't have alot to do with physics.... it does have something to do with financial stuff (ecmt)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)