• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Maths -Vs- Science (1 Viewer)

Eg155

HSC
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone out there who absolutely loves science (or likes science) subjects but hates math/ not very good at maths???

^ This is me all over and I've been told that it's something to do with being ambidextrous or something, like since i can use both hands for writing/ holding things/ sports, so some parts of each side of the brain are better at some things than others. * hard to explain, but maths and science are both associated with the 'left brain' yet i can only be proficient at one of those... :S
Any truth to this?

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I adore science (bio is my absolute fav) and I don't like maths but I'm not bad at it either so I dunno...guess its just up to personal preference.

ZeeZee3

HSC
I like science, but would always prefer maths over science. Reason being I'm much better at maths than science however everyone is different and is up to what you are naturally better at. The "right brain is for logic while left brain is for creativity (or the other way)" isnt really completely proven (probably nothing to do with it) so don't place your entire trust into either your left or right brain when it comes to these sort of things.

Eg155

HSC
I like science, but would always prefer maths over science. Reason being I'm much better at maths than science however everyone is different and is up to what you are naturally better at. The "right brain is for logic while left brain is for creativity (or the other way)" isnt really completely proven (probably nothing to do with it) so don't place your entire trust into either your left or right brain when it comes to these sort of things.
I proved it in my science investigation assessment :p lolls
yea, but i know other tests are inconclusive

LouisaCar

HSC
I ABSOLUTELY LOVEEEEE Biology!!! Best subject (sooooOo interesting)...truly fascinates me
&& I am also good @ mathsss but don't love it.

Alkanes

HSC
Ehh i have my ups and downs for both maths and science. :/

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
No sane person should like high school math unless you do ext 2, the thing which makes math interesting is it's application in physics which is pretty much non existent in high school.

sam113

HSC
Love all the sciences :love: However math isn't exactly my favourite, as said by OP; Its interesting you mention the whole ambidextrous as i am in the same boat :spzz:

Eg155

HSC
I'm like you OP, love science but not a maths person.
haha, seems we're alike in a lot of ways LHS.

and Utopianradical - totally agree with the creativity thing, because if that didn't exist those physicists at uni wouldn't be able to play around with lego to make stuff :p

Towheda

HSC
I hate science.. maths all the way
Maths is all about practise :)

Eg155

HSC
I hate science.. maths all the way
Maths is all about practise :)
which is why maths sucks. What a time waster. Knowledge is more valuable than letters and *some* numbers -.-. No one's going to be like ' tell me the simplified logarithim of xjigifn (i know, couldn't be bothered to write one...).

Eg155

HSC
^I think you are my long lost sibling or something-we have so much in common!
I reckon! This is freaky- same views and essentially the same subjects :O We'll probably meet one day and be like, 'oh, i actually know you!' ahahah

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
which is why maths sucks. What a time waster. Knowledge is more valuable than letters and *some* numbers -.-. No one's going to be like ' tell me the simplified logarithim of xjigifn (i know, couldn't be bothered to write one...).
Maths is elegant though. You also shouldn't do something because you'll need it in life, rather do it since you only have one chance to experience it.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Oh it does exist, in US Advanced Placement (high school) physics........ My eyes empty (as my non-existant ecstacy flows in ever-changing flux) as I get mind-raped by the three-dimensional projectile motion and calculus.

EDIT: I don't trust HSC physics for Gamsat prep (Meissner effect does NOT have any relation to Lenz's law........ I hate it when the BOS lies to thousands of students each year), that's why I read american stuff.

EDIT 2: Physics is fun, but mind-rape since I cannot absorb so much calculus.

EDIT 3: Both sides of the brain may influence each other (Anyone notice many Physics words are in common usage in everyday language? Eg. "Are we on the same wavelength?" means "Do you understand me?" dunno which side of the brain is about language though, but i'm sure it's not the logical/math/science side of the brain)

EDIT 4: The best scientists use BOTH sides of their brain.... How did Einstein come up with his Theory of Special Relativity without being creative and imaginative......science isn't all about being logical........ science may contradict common logic/common sense
I have never come across anything (from relatively reliable sources) that says those two are related...?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
No sane person should like high school math unless you do ext 2, the thing which makes math interesting is it's application in physics which is pretty much non existent in high school.
I find the methods of application in physics interesting and certainly more interesting than many things in high school maths, but it's an overstatement to say that those who likes other parts of high school maths are insane. I think you are just an applied maths lover.

Personally, I found the theory of calculus itself quite intriguing without physical applications - esp the fact that differentiation and integration are reverse processes of each other when the origin of each technique is supposedly very different - differentiation for finding the slope, integration for finding the area under a curve.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Well in university - Maths is a science using numbers and figures so go figure on the irony. As for my preference, science is definitely better than maths (no bias on the basis of my 2010 HSC subjects) because its more interesting and you get the best of both worlds in practicals and theories. However, that does not mean I hate maths, if you're doing Business and/or Commerce then you will come across a Statistics unit which is absolutely engaging as these are the maths you never studied in high school and may be using in the future when conducting research. So for those who are not doing or do not plan on undertaking studies in business, commerce or science degrees then I recommend you do at least one unit of statistics - its not that hard trust me ~ and for some universities its an open book final examination. XP

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Without maths, much of this knowledge would have been very difficult to discover and investigate. Maths is pretty amazing. I'm terrible with words so I'll let someone else explain why...
I think year 10 maths leaves a bad impression on many people because all they present to you is formulas without showing how they've come about. Personally I found high school maths boring until year 11, when things started to get interesting. Everything before that seemed like a waste of time. So don't get the wrong impression from what you've done in junior years! :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)