• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Mature age noob very confused! (1 Viewer)

nicodemas

HSC
N/A
Hi guys and girls,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with some advice/consolation regarding my very disappointing first offer.

I had applied for a place as a mature age non school leaver at melbourne university as an undergrad BA Arts student.

I had to sit the STAT and complete a personal information form.

The results that were required for consideration were 150 and 155 for multiple choice and written English respectively. I obtained marks of 200 and 167 which gave me a combined score of 174 which my letter says puts me in the 99th percentile.

My disappointment stems from the fact that I was subsequently not offered a place despite my results looking like they would assure me an offer. :confused:

I applied for "Special access consideration" on my girlfriends advice as I am a mature age entrant and I was told this may help for reasons I am unsure of.

Should I just cop it sweet and move on or is there a tree I should be barking up? (In a very polite manner of course)

Any comments are greatly appreciated as I am quite disheartened by this setback. I even went to the trouble of doing several subjects through OUA to strengthen my application. I recieved a distinction average on all of the subjects studied.

I did get my second choice which was Monash but I had my heart set on Melbourne as I know their philosophy faculty is strong and has ties with the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics. Maybe Monash is a better choice. I don't really know to be honest, I was just going on second hand info from friends.

I feel like a fish out of water.

Thanks again.

Nico.

Lou283

HSC
Hi guys and girls,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with some advice/consolation regarding my very disappointing first offer.

I had applied for a place as a mature age non school leaver at melbourne university as an undergrad BA Arts student.

I had to sit the STAT and complete a personal information form.

The results that were required for consideration were 150 and 155 for multiple choice and written English respectively. I obtained marks of 200 and 167 which gave me a combined score of 174 which my letter says puts me in the 99th percentile.

My disappointment stems from the fact that I was subsequently not offered a place despite my results looking like they would assure me an offer. :confused:

I applied for "Special access consideration" on my girlfriends advice as I am a mature age entrant and I was told this may help for reasons I am unsure of.

Should I just cop it sweet and move on or is there a tree I should be barking up? (In a very polite manner of course)

Any comments are greatly appreciated as I am quite disheartened by this setback. I even went to the trouble of doing several subjects through OUA to strengthen my application. I recieved a distinction average on all of the subjects studied.

I did get my second choice which was Monash but I had my heart set on Melbourne as I know their philosophy faculty is strong and has ties with the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics. Maybe Monash is a better choice. I don't really know to be honest, I was just going on second hand info from friends.

I feel like a fish out of water.

Thanks again.

Nico.
Have you tried calling Melbourne? - they could probably tell you if there is anything else you can do.

nicodemas

HSC
N/A
Yeah I called them today and tried to speak to a student advisor but was put through to an answering machine. I called back but was told she was busy and she would return my call if I had left a message. I will do the polite thing and wait 24 hours and then call again.

I don't want to appear pushy or rude but I do want to speak to someone. It's a fine line when your basically whinging that you weren't offered a place.

Nico.

Andi0390

HSC
University students are generally pretty pushy. You have to be because you have no idea how terrible the administration at university generally is.

Things get lost, thing are left undone, its not really the workers fault, its just that there are so many school and faculties, and so many students that things just slip through. If your voice is sitting on answering machine somewhere its not great, call until you get a person, if you don't get a person call somewhere else and tell them there is no person and you want to speak to someone.

Once you have a person note down their name and communicate through them until you get to a person who can either advise you why your application was rejected or who can give you admission alternatives.

There is a point where you just have to deal with the fact you missed out, but if you feel that you should have got in, its not too much to look for some answers.

Monash is a very good university (or so I here). University of Melbourne, while having a very good reputation, has gone through some changes lately, and I have heard some conflicting opinions on that. If you end up going to Monash I don't think that is a bad thing at all.

nicodemas

HSC
N/A
Thanks so much for all of the advice. I feel much better having shared my problem even if it is not yet solved. I will keep calling them and see if I can get an answer.

Nico.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)