MBBS at UNSW Vs. MBBS at USYD (1 Viewer)

Jackie.bored

HSC
The Scientia scholarship is much different to the USyd one (I think...don't quote me on this =p) because UNSW provides mentors for the students. I was talking to the scholarships lady at the Scientia luncheon about why it was restricted to just 2 students and she said that around three-quarters of people eligible for Scientia wanted to do Medicine, and UNSW Medicine would have a whole faculty full of Scientias. And then there's the situation of finding the suitable mentors for the students and this overall makes it very hard on the Med faculty.

jet

Banned
HSC
USyd for a few reasons;
a) I have a Plan B if Plan A: Medicine, fails.
b) I like science it would be the perfect way to study other fields I am also passionate about
c) It's close to home; a train trip rather than just a train AND bus trip.
d) The number of opportunities available to students in the Science faculty at USyd.
e) Comparing the hospitals available for clinical placements, I find USyd's list much more appealing.

bio_nut

HSC
of course. but spending 3 years at uni and paying thousands of dollars to do so is not worth it. if you are into something PURELY for interest then self-directed learning would be the better option. you get to pursue the areas you want yourself, at your own pace and no pressure to absorb everything.

e.g. if i were interested in music, i wouldnt go to uni to get a bachelor of music degree to certify its one of my interests. its just pretentious and unneccessary.
Getting the equipment to do science labs on your own is a little more difficult.

nottellingu

HSC
If you are just keen on medicine I would go to UNSW as far as I know a science degree won't help you unless you're able to do a honours year and maybe get some research published. You have opportunities to do this with an MBBS anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)