me maths n uni.. (1 Viewer)

gamecw

HSC
well i used to really like maths when i lived in china, n was always top in my school

in yr7 i came to aust, maths was Soo easy 4 me, like the stuff they taught back then, i alrdy learnt years ago.. well we did 2unit geometric sequence in year 6 and they were teachin me how to simplify 2x+3x. so yea, i started losin my interest in maths, and started bludgin for years.. prior to the day i walked into my sc exam, i have Neva opened my maths text book (wonderin if i had one), and thought that i might still score a top band 6 like close 2 100%.. but the results were bad.. i only managed to score a band 5..

then in yr11, i started doin 3u maths, it was kinda interestin bcoz for once there was sumthin new to learn! and for once in aust, i met a teacher who knew wht he was talkin abt.. i really liked the way he explained maths, he got my interest up in maths agn! so instead of sleepin in class, i listened and actually completed all the homeworks at home.. then it was my 1st prelim assessment task, i think it was on permutation/combination, i scored 100/100 and the person who came 2nd got low 70's. Afta that, Again, i stoped trying. knowing that ill beat the rest of the class anyway, i lost my enthusiasm in doin maths.

From then til my final prelim exam, i have studyed maths at home a maximum of 5 times.. managed to score 77% n still came 1st in our school (2nd was 50 sumthing)

at the end of last yr, i was invited to do 4u maths, i was told dat 4u is much harder than 3u, so i actually planned to study harder.. but unfortunately, this teacher i liked left us, he went to teach at selective high school and left us with no teacher for 4u!

well, including me, we only have two students who're doin 4u this yr.. and the only two for the past 10~15 yrs... so none of the teachers took our class seriously!! at the end we got this teacher who hasnt taught 3/4u maths for like ten yrs.. i dunno how many hrs of 4u u guys do at school each week, but 2 hrs/week is how much we do for the 1st two or three months, afta that we have a class like once every two weeks!! and around half an hour to 45 mins max for each lesson.. like i said, that teacher lacks of experiences of teachin such course, so i found her classes not helpful at all anyways, so i even stopd goin (we havent had a 4u class for two months now =S) well i like to study under pressures n competitions and can ONLY study when there're pressures.. but this sort of pressureless environment makes me just not want to study... until mid this yr, i only did 4u twice at home, both just the day b4 assessment tasks, n got extremly low marks like jus above 50s.

then three months b4 trials, i went for a ten weeks 4u tutor at james an and again realize how much behind i am.

well, i've been studyin harder lately on all my sujects, but still not tryin my best.. 2~3 hrs (including school) is all i can study each day, unless theres an exam comin up da day afta (then i can study about 6~8 hrs?)... all those yrs of time wastin fomulated my lazy personality =( and now 'study' works just like mathmatical induction for me, its poven that i wont study today, and its proven that i wont study tomorrow, so i wont study for any days..

theres only like 5 weeks til hsc now, and i really want a 92+uai so that i can do Bcom in unsw.. but now i really doubt it. i was hoping sumthiing like maths 4u can lift my uai up abit.. but now i think its not gonna happen...

Guys, other than actuarial studies, wat other courses at uni r related to both maths n business?

Last edited:

lil-la

HSC
lol thats exactly like alot other people at my school, they came from china in yr 9 and they were fully smart and way ahead of the rest of the class but after a few yrs they become lazy and play lots of games. I guess that is what happens if you go to a shit school.
anyways i dont know much courses in uni but i heard science has lots of maths if you major in it but i dont think it will have anything to do with business. There is also a course in uts called B Mathematics and Finance with a 80uai cutoff but I dont know much about it you should check it out yourself.

Last edited:

Raginsheep

HSC
Hardcore finance is another subject which requires maths and business.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
in 2008 the quantitative risk program will be up and running - a mix of maths, finance, actuary and economics.

gamecw

HSC
blackfriday said:
in 2008 the quantitative risk program will be up and running - a mix of maths, finance, actuary and economics.
mm? meaning?

gamecw

HSC
Affinity said:
You might want to consider engineering.
mmm i have thought abt it, this cud be another choice.. but id really like to work in a business coz i dont like working for ppl, and i think my final goal is to own a business by myself... n i like to play around with different sorts of investments, work out the chances to earn profits etc.. engineering & physics r interesting but i cant see myself doin it for the rest of my life..

Last edited:

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
I think working in business would have a lot more contact with people than something like engineering - especially owning a business, because youd have to co ordinate all the people working for you and keep them happy.

But a degree will not define what youre doing for the rest of your life - eg you may start out with an engineering degree, then eventually end up as a business manager or something.

Good luck with picking a course!

gamecw

HSC
ianc said:
But a degree will not define what youre doing for the rest of your life - eg you may start out with an engineering degree, then eventually end up as a business manager or something.

Good luck with picking a course!
yea but it wud certainly be a waste... 3~4 yrs of studying sumthin that becomes completely useless to u at the end...

well ill have to see what uai i get then choose the right course for myself, u can do that yea? my teacher said u can still change ur preference of courses afta u get ur uai back... mmm ill just work harder from now on!

Affinity

HSC
gamecw said:
mmm i have thought abt it, this cud be another choice.. but id really like to work in a business coz i dont like working for ppl, and i think my final goal is to own a business by myself... n i like to play around with different sorts of investments, work out the chances to earn profits etc.. engineering & physics r interesting but i cant see myself doin it for the rest of my life..
I wrote a long essay, but then decided to shorten it to:

You said you would want to own a business. If what you have in mind is a company which generate returns from investing money in things like shares, think again. Unless you have quite some money to begin with, you can't get too far even if you are Warren Buffett.

gamecw

HSC
Affinity said:
I wrote a long essay, but then decided to shorten it to:

You said you would want to own a business. If what you have in mind is a company which generate returns from investing money in things like shares, think again. Unless you have quite some money to begin with, you can't get too far even if you are Warren Buffett.
yea ofcourse, if i had that money n knew exactly how im goin to make profits then i wud have finished schooling two yrs ago and start a business on my own.. then definately i wudnt be goin to uni..

the reason i wantd to do a course thats 'related to business' is because those jobs not only earn me the 'capital' dat ur talkin abt in order to start a business, it also gains me experiences of workin in a business, like dealing with financial problems n stuff.. this sort of jobs make it easier for me to start a business later on..

on the other hand if i chose to do engineering, ofcourse i can still start a business later on, or make investments, but spendin a few yrs doin engineering wudnt be as helpful if my final goal is to own a business, as i'll be totally 'noob' to the business world.. even if i earn enough or maybe more money from doin engineerin, lack of experiences will be a disadvantge to me...

if i had to earn an amount of money in order to start a business, y 1stly y not choose a job/course that's related to a business? thats wat has been in my mind.. so yea not sure abt doin engineering altho its also an interesting career..

Last edited:

Affinity

HSC
Hmm in that case Commerce+Law should be the course you are looking at

gamecw

HSC
Sorry to bring this post back up! lol i actually got 94.5 Uai, and i think im going to actuarial studies!! yay unsw bcom!! and 1st in merrylands high school!!

Affinity said:
"UAI is inversely proportional to distance from the teacher"
-The Late Syd Adams<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
SIF! THEN I WUD HAVE GOT ZERO!

Last edited:

Etheral

HSC
gamecw said:
yea ofcourse, if i had that money n knew exactly how im goin to make profits then i wud have finished schooling two yrs ago and start a business on my own.. then definately i wudnt be goin to uni..

the reason i wantd to do a course thats 'related to business' is because those jobs not only earn me the 'capital' dat ur talkin abt in order to start a business, it also gains me experiences of workin in a business, like dealing with financial problems n stuff.. this sort of jobs make it easier for me to start a business later on..

on the other hand if i chose to do engineering, ofcourse i can still start a business later on, or make investments, but spendin a few yrs doin engineering wudnt be as helpful if my final goal is to own a business, as i'll be totally 'noob' to the business world.. even if i earn enough or maybe more money from doin engineerin, lack of experiences will be a disadvantge to me...

if i had to earn an amount of money in order to start a business, y 1stly y not choose a job/course that's related to a business? thats wat has been in my mind.. so yea not sure abt doin engineering altho its also an interesting career..
im in the exact position as you man, and as affinity stated, i too am looking for commerce and law, however at unsw it's jsut too high 99.55 and competitive to transfer into. if it wasnt for me being in fairfield (near merrylands yay) and having parents who dont really understand the principle of investments then i would be off. but never be in doubt, if you're warren buffett, trump or a branson. my friend who did extremely well in the hsc deferred 1st year and possibly might indefinitely put uni on a hiatus because he owns a selling company alreayd generating within teh 100s of thousands annually, keep your philsophy and attitude dude, you rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)